Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Expect around $13-15 dollars for a box of .32 Spl. Sportsna's Guide, Cheaper than Dirt, and maybe Graf and Son will be your best bet on line. There is just not a great demand for them. There is no other round that can be safely substituted in it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
:) Many, many years ago I had a .32 Win Spl. It was handy to tote and shot (of course!) better than me, but it had to go... ammo was scarce and expensive even back then. Hard for some of us to justify reloading to shoot 30 rounds/year.
In your place, I'd take a pass on the .32. JMHO
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
The first deer I ever killed with a rifle was a winchester lever in 32 win special.I love that gun and caliber,others will out do it but its a nice caliber to look back on and remember.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seymour Hiney said:
I was thinking about getting an old 32 special Winchester lever rifle. Where can I get some cheap ammo? Is there any way I can substitute with 32-20 or something?
I've got my grandmothers old (1943-1946) Winchester 94 in 32 win special. I believe that Remington is the only one that makes ammo for it anymore (I could be wrong). 170 grain core-lok bullets. Ive seen them from $12 to 17 a box. Meijer usually has them believe it or not, for a decent price too. I dont reload yet, but i do save my brass. I mainly just target shoot with mine, since i cant hunt with a centerfire rifle here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only lever gun I own is in .32 Win Spec. I've found boxes of ammo from both Remington and Winchester for it, runs about $13-17 per box. No, you can't substitue any other ammo for it. I save my brass since I got an Lee Loader at a gun show a while back for $10 that does the trick. Took me a while a lot of looking to find one. :wink: I use 28.9 grns on IMR 3031,($16 a pound) Rem 9 1/2 primer ($2 per hundred), and Hornady 170 grn .321 bullets (100 for $12), all of which I surprisingly found at my local Gander Mountain. Gives you about 1,900 fps at the muzzle. Now I only shoot about 100-200 rounds per year, plinking only, No Rifle Deer season in Illinois. And yep, it's more accurate then me. Hogdgon also has some recipes on their website for it.

Yes, you can fire form .32 Win Spec from 30-30 brass. (its the same measurements except for the neck diameter has to be larger to fit a .321 bullet vs a .30 bullet. You just stand behind the guys who go to Wisconsin or Michigan for Deer season and catch their brass as they eject it. :oops: :lol: :shock:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Would think if you commit your self to the gun and caliber, you commit to buying 10+ boxes of ammo as well and a low cost reloader. By buying the factory ammo you have a good supply of loaded ammo and a good supply of brass to start reloading. I have done this with the 32HRM , factory ammo can be found but not everywhere. Hit the local gun show and buy up all the factory loads I can to build up a good supply of brass. Funny, when I bought the ammo the guys asked if I wanted to sell him any of the brass after I shot them! Some odd or old cartridges you just commit your self to reloading if you are going to shoot them much.

APEXDUCK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.