32 win special

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by claycrusher, Feb 24, 2005.

1. claycrusher

claycrusher Guest

I fould a Winchester 94 in .32 Win Special for sale, with a side mount for a scope. Does anyone know of a sight with a picture of one? I've never seen one, and I am wondering how far off to the side it is mounted. Anyone have a opinion about these mounts?

Also is $275 for this gun, in about 80%, a fair price?

Thanks!
    Jonathan

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

If you're a collector, you probably already know this, but the side-mount scope would cut the value a whole bunch, since it is not a factory job.

If you're a hunter, an old '94 is a great woods gun, and a non-factory alteration is not a big deal. If you have young eyes, remove the scope and mount (but save 'em for when you have old eyes) and use the iron sights. The price is not really out of line - you need to look it over in person for a real condition evaluation, though. You may be able to use the scope as leverage to lower the price.

The side-mount scopes are a little awkward, as you have to pull your head off the stock to align your eye with the scope. There used to be a "scout" type mount that used the rear sight dovetail and the barrel band on a carbine. This, with an extended eye relief scope, was a really nifty setup - still carried and pointed like a '94 carbine. That type of mount may still be available.

3. claycrusher

claycrusher Guest

Is it possible to have the receiver drilled and tapped for a regular scope mount? Or is the problem with how the empty's eject?

Jonathan

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Clay,

One should consider ammo avail. if you buy this rifle. Do ya reload? If so,you may be alright if components are esily found. If you're just buying to collect,this would be a moot point,but....

HWD