.338 ultra mag?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Maser, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Maser

Maser Super Member

ok i dont know if theres a thread somewhere in this forum on this topic n im too lazy to look :p so il post it again if its not already said

my dad is lookin to get a new rifle n hes gonna give me his old one which is a remington 700 chambered in .338 ultra mag n iv shot it many times n can handle it pretty good but i was jus wondering if its too much gun 4 deer or elk cuz i see ppl on hunting shows usin that cartridge on moose n stuff like that so i was wondering what u all think

i myself would rather have a .308 or .30-06 so i can target shoot wit those all day n still have a shoulder left :lol:

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Mase, I'd say it would be a great elk rifle but on deer it would be equivalent to using a tactical nuclear device (way overkill). However, one guy from PA (back when when I was just a pup) thought his 375 H&H was just the ticket for those ill-tempered Keystone whitetails that I (in my ignorance) had the temerity to chase with my 25-06 :shock: .

Heck though if you really want to use it on deer, and since yer dad is giving it to you, go fer it. While you are at it get that 06 and double yer fun while saving yer shoulder. Recoil is physical trauma and the old shoulder can tolerate only so much, particularly as the years roll by.

3. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

The .338 RUM is overkill for deer IMO but for elk it would do the job I took my 338 win mag when I went for elk. its pretty much personal preference. yeah a 338 win mag or RUM will kill deer but it will also destroy alot of the meat and there are just too many better cartridges suited to the task I myself am a big fan of the .270 theres also quite a few that do an awesome job as well 25-06 257 roberts 7mm-08 308 and 30-06...and if u wanna get real expensive to shoot the .257 wby mag is also a decent choice.

Aaron

4. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: .338 ultra mag?

I've got a buddy that hunts deer with the .375 H&H mag, too. He does it because he knows for a fact that if he hits the deer, the chances of having to follow a blood trail anywhere are between slim and none.

5. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Well there's only one thing I can say... It'll definitely kill the deer.

6. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol yea n also kill the deer standing behind it :lol:

7. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

These GOLLYWHOCKER MAGNUMS will kill just about anything that gets hit with them,provided that you can do YOUR part and place the shot well. One of my younguns has the 300RUM and the 7mmRUM,both in 700 BDLs. His idea was to not have to follow a blood trail either.He shot a doe at about 30 yds and she still went over 50 yds thru some right gnarly brush brfore giving up. These Calibers are not the END ALL things that they're made out to be.Most are so punishing and expensive to shoot, that the owners can't or won't take the time to get to know their rifles and sight them in properly.

Thank your Dad for the new rifle and then go buy another rifle that's not as punishing or costly.If you buy one of the same type,at least you'll be familiar with the feel and operation.

Just my 2cents worth and past observations.

HWD

8. Maser

Maser Super Member

yea il go buy another rifle as soon as im 18 but until then im stuck with this powerhouse right now but anyways i like it cuz its real accurate

9. wired

wired Guest

Wow, you're a youngin'. Whatever rifle you get next, you should be able to tolerate the recoil just fine, if you're used to that howitzer. On the other hand, it would be very easy to develop a flinch with that thing.

10. Maser

Maser Super Member

nah i never flinch cuz when i 1st learned rifle shooting techniques my dad used to put a dummy round in the mag so he could see if i flinched which of course i did alot in the beginning but nowadays i never flinch even when somebody next to me shoots a big gun i dont jump cuz i anticipate the muzzle blast

11. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

thats the reason most people develop a flinch

Aaron

12. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

maser,
    Just because one hasn't flinched doesn't mean it can't happen in the future. Flinching is a huge problem in trap and skeet shooting where the recoil of the gun is considerably less than a 338 RUM but the number of rounds fired is much greater. Physiologically, after enough punishment the body eventually says, "Enough" and that is when a flinch develops. Everyone has a different level of endurance and most of us thought ourselves bullet proof when we were in our teens. Age and experience brutally showed us the error of our ways. This will mean nothing to you as the young always believe they are different but I think Samuel Clemens said it best, "When I was 16 I couldn't believe how ignorant my father was. At 26, I couldn't believe how much he learned in 10 years".

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Shooting any of the 338s will get you flinching. I shoot some of the bigger DR rifles, and would rather shoot my 458 Win Mag or 375 H&H than my 338 Win Mag. :twisted: The discomfort level for a 338 is about as bad as it is for my 416 Rigby...plenty! :shock:

The medium bore pressure cooker rounds have a sharp hard jab that leads to flinching. I would much rather shoot my 375s as recreational shooting than the much smaller 338 Win, as the 375 pushes hard, while the 338 smacks the stuffing out of me. I only shoot the 338 when hunting...or when I need my sinuses cleared out. :wink:

L2S

14. fosgate

fosgate Guest

I know a guy in Western South Dakota that shoots a 338 Lapua Mag only at ELk or larger game with the exception that when he is playing around he'll lob a few at prarie dogs at 1500m+. It is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen to watch a guy use field artillary on prarie dogs at that distance.

15. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol yea its cool but hey u should see that 1 video on the net where they were shooting prarrie dogs with a .50 bmg :shock:

16. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

So...you're telling me that this "Eagle Eye" can see a p-dog a mile away??? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to hit a flock of circus tents a mile away with a hunting rifle?

And, life is life, even to a p-dog. Unless there is some consuming reason to snuff one out, you might think twice about it. Those critters don't hate you...

Yes, I hunt, and just tonight got back from bird hunting. I'll be eating what I shot. How does p-dog taste?

ANOUNCEMENT!! I'll be leaving this site. It pretty much has become an adolescent machismo exercise. So long to all the friends I have here. You all know how to get ahold of me elsewhere.

L2S

17. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol maybe hes using a 100x scope :lol:

btw prarrie dogs r considered a nusense (spelled it wrong) to most land owners so they will kill them just for being alive

btw i sure hope that adolecense comment wasnt directed at me too cuz of my age i jus made this thread jus to get oppinions on my new powerhouse rifle

18. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:( Heckfire, L-2-S,
    Just take a little vacation and come back in a month or two. Surely that little twit will move on to video games or girls or four-wheelin' or something!
    Also getting bored with the childish stuff,
    ///olde :evil: pharte///

19. wwb

wwb Super Member

If we would all treat 'em like trolls and ignore 'em, they all might go away. You just have to wonder why somebody would be so damn proud of displaying their ignorance and immaturity in public.

20. Maser

Maser Super Member

i got a chance to shoot my .338 yesterday all day and i went through 2 boxes of them and my shoulder wanted to kill me for doing that :lol: