340 wby or 378 wby?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by markIVbigblock, Apr 13, 2005.

1. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

i wanna buy a new rifle this summer and i always wanted to go grizzly bear hunting and i like shooting big guns so i figured y not buy a gun now for a hunt ill get to in the future besides it might be fun to shoot woodchucks w/ a 340 or 378 even tho it would prolly cost 5 bucks each time i pulled the trigger lol so what would u use? im kinda set on the wby calibers so i was lookin for some opinions

Aaron

2. markIVbigblock

wow no one?! come on Luv2 I know u have somethin to contribute.

Aaron

3. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

I'd like to start off by saying I have no experience with big bores, or big boars :D (Yes, not funny. I know.)

But...

I'm sure either would work for bears and be fun to dink around with. Even though recoil will be brutal. That said, I'd get the .378 'cause it probably more fun just doink around with. (But I can't find any Lefty .378's! :x ) I saw picture of a Jack that was shot with a .378. I thought the bullet would just go right through with not much damage. I was wrong. All that left was a little spoltch and some tufts of fur. So it would probably make a pretty fun 'chuck gun

4. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Well I have a .340, and don't seem to be bothered by the recoil. But I have only been using the 200 grain PSP Wby cartridges, too. It's a tight shooting rifle, can put them into one moa for three shots from a cold barrel. This is from a Mark V Deluxe rifle with a ported barrel. I bought the rifle more becasue it's so dang pretty more than I needed a .340, but I like it anyway. Just had to get past the sticker shock when I went to buy the ammo! Good luck with yours, MarkIV.

PS, so do you HAVE one? A rat motor I mean?

5. markIVbigblock

I used to but i sold it ive actually been into small blocks lately I had a 402 we put in a 78 firebird ( WHAT A JOB!!! :x :x ) and we had a muncie m-22 tranny in it it was pretty wild setup the cam specs were so wild that the stock valve covers wouldnt fit. lately ive been messin w/ small blocks like i said, its knida fun those little mouse motors will put out some serious power :twisted:. anyways the rcoil on ur 340 isnt too bad? Im lookin at the fibermark mark V i wonder if i can get that in stainless? ill prolly be shootin 225gr barnes x. Im lookin at the 338-378 also its got a little extra punch but not a whole lot i suppose ill be paying through the A$$ for either ammo so its not a big deal maybe it would be worth it just to have that little extra?

Aaron

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

My brother in law had a 340 weatherby caliber on a sako,man did that thing kick.Enjoy the kick while you are young Aaron,when you get older it bothers you,that is for most folks.Some folks get to where it's not a big deal,and shoot fine but most of us older guys would rather watch someone else rattle his teeth with a thunder boomer.You don't have to be big to take the kick,I know a gunsmith back in Louisianna that only weighed 165 lbs and shot the 375 H&H,458 win mag all day and never flinched.Some like it and some don't.Drop-Shot

7. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Dropshot: I've seen a 30-06 cause casualties, too! About 20 years ago my cousin had his left arm broken when a semi-tire he was mounting to the rim exploded (he's a lefty). Arm all in a cast, he went deer hunting with us anyway. He was sitting up in a tree (no stand, just perched in the bough) when Mr. huge 8 point walks underneath him. He can't move his trigger finger, so he peers through the scope while pulling the rifle away from him with the right arm while holding the trigger with buggered up left hand. After the gunshot died down, there was one dead and bleeding critter (the deer) and one beat-up and bleeding critter (my cousin, freshly removed from the tree by the recoil of the poorly held 06!) The deer was worth it though. The fun you can have hunting!

MarkIV: We've played around with the big blocks, too. Had a 396 we put into a 72 Chevelle my brother scrounged up somewhere. This was long before they started to cost $12000 for a piece of junk. We left the 2-speed powerglide in the car and let her rip! That lasted about 5 minutes, then the tranny went to the afterlife. We then found a TH400 for it. Later he sold the car and bought a 68 vette with an oil-smoking 454. We pulled that and put the 396 in it. He's had that since 1986 now. Nice car. I put a rebuilt 350 into a Jeep CJ-7 along about that same time, too. (I was single then, motorhead with more money than brains.) THAT was a rocket, I'll tell ya! Lasted a couple years, then sold it cause I needed a pickup. Have a great day, guys!

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Sorry pat but that was funny.I wished I could have seen that.I did see something kinda funny,the guy I hunted with most of the time in Louisianna was up in a tree and his brand new model 70 was with him.We sighted it in so I saw it work,only 5 shots were fired in it.He was in a home built tree stand and a huge buck came right under him,he aimed straight down beneath him and the gun would not shoot,I was watching him from a tree stand about 25 yards away facing in a different direction.The gun didn't shoot so he thought he would jump on the big deer and break his back.I watched the whole thing unfold,he was about 20 feet in the tree and by the time he jumped the deer moved,poor bill hit the ground like a brick and the deer ran away confused.Bill hit 60 that year and falling 20 feet didn't help him at all,in fact he limped till his death in 2000. I too fixed up cars to run,the last was a 57 chevy 2 door,I put a 300 horse 350 from a SS Nova in it and man did that car run.The guy I sold it to got killed running from the cops.I just quit making cars run that fast.I'm old and afraid one of my kids would get it when I die and get hurt or worse,but I know how.If I ever wanted to fix something up,I could,I still have all my tools,welding machine and torch set up.Have a good evening pat.Drop-Shot