Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this in another thread but I would like to hear responses to the new cartridge.
Hill Country Rifles chambers this round in their rifles but I have heard of other gunsmith's that have considered chambering for this round.
It's a 338 win mag case necked up to 35 cal and has taken game both in Africa and North America at all distances,they call it the 35 HCR.Any interest?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Hello D-S!! I can think of one thing that cartridge would be ideal for -- Alaskan bear of any color, provided there are bullets in .358 tough enough for the velocity this would (or could) generate. I'm not familiar enough with what's available for bullets in that caliber. Everything else on this continent can be handled by the .30s and .33s. But variety is the spice of life! Be interesting to see how inherently accurate one of these are.

Pat

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Besides the Hornadys and Speer there are the Barnes,Nosler,Swift,Woodleigh 225,250 gr and 275 gr as well as the 310 gr.
When the 358 Shooting Times Alaskan came out the bullets on some kills fragmented as velocities were real high.The lower velocities of the 338 win mag case helps with too easy bullet blowup.
Premium bullets like the Nosler,Swift,Barnes and Woodleigh work the best but the lower velocities (than the 358 STA)keep most all bullets usable.
One hunter that still has his 358 STA bought the 35 HCR and uses it more than the other as he can use all bullets like the Speer Hot-Core bullet.He also uses Hard-Cast North Fork bullets and has taken pretty sizable bear in British Columbia and Alaska.
I may never get one but I can see the usefullness of the 35 HCR.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like a good Elk, Brown Bear and Africa Rifle. Loaded with a 225 TSX, I'm sure it would do for anything you could find. I know that the .338 250gr TSX has been used on Cape Buffalo with good sucess, so I am sure that the .35 cal would do fine.

I had not heard much about the .35HCR prior to your post. If I wanted a magnum bigger than .338 I would probably go to the .375 H&H, but that's just me.

I have had a secret crush on the .375 H&H most of my life so unless I already had one I wouldnt look too hard at the .35's. I had read a little on the .358 STA but for me I like the .375 bore better, even if the .35 shoots flatter. From what I have read however, the .35 HCR looks like a good blend of recoil and performance in a medium bore.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm reviving this thread as I am very interested in the 35 HCR.
I have considered the 358 STA but velocities that fast are not as needed as the 358 bullets have such momentum that it will shoot through a 8 inch pine tree at 300 yards,I've done it with a Woodleigh 250 gr I think it was..
A gentleman from Butte has one and its accurate for a 358 bore rifle.
With his reloads he has shot a 3 shot group covered with a nickel.
Brass for the 358 STA is super expensive when you can find it.Midway has it for 48.00 per 20 and its out of stock.
338 mag is everywhere.
I also looked at the 358 WSM.A 30 WSM case necked to 358 and its much slower than the 35 HCR.About 100-150 fps faster than the 350 rem mag.
There is little use for that powerful round in most places but here in Montana or Alaska it may just be the ticket.
Its been used in Africa extensively with great results.
That may be my next project.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Takem I considered that but the 250 gr 358 HCR has as much energy as a 300 gr 375 H&H bullet.
If you choose to load it a little hot you can get quite a bit more energy than the 375 H&H.
At least that is what the writers say about the 358 HCR.
It can be loaded to a little over 3000 fps for a 225 gr bullet and a around 2850 fps with a 250 gr quality bullet.
You can go all the way to 310 gr bullets from Woodleigh.
The bears I have seen in the woods are not all that big but in the Bob Marshal Wilderness they say Grizzly bears as big as 700 pounds exists.
I have come face to face to a griz and I felt like the 30/06 I was carrying was a pop gun compared to the Colorado Griz that claimed my elk.
I would prefer to shoot one from a good distance as a game warden told us a average size Grizzly can out run a horse on a short sprint.
I'm not sure how far that is but I know I'm much slower even in my healthy years.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Although this cartridge/gun combo is not for me, it looks like it would be effective for you against big grizzly bears. It does look like it would shoot flatter than the 375H&H or 375 Ruger. Although you can get dies for the wildcat, I think I'd rather go for a 375 and invest in a box of superformance ammo to extend its range a tad.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zerbe I too have always loved the 375 H&H.
I used to live in south Florida and worked at Lion Country Safari and worked on Elephant Island.We had to qualify with and older 375 H&H rifle to continue to work there.
A lion that got out of its territory had to be shot with a 375 H&H and she died as she was climbing a fence.My cousin that worked as a foreman had to shoot her.
A lessor rifle may have not done the trick.
For deer it would be overkill for either rifle.
Here in Montana I may have to shoot a grizzly at one minute and maybe an elk in another minute so am looking for a long range rifle that can fit that bill.While I like the 375 it drops like a brick after 200 yards.
On Hill Country's website they have had super results with the 35 HCR with 180 gr bullets on white tail deer at long ranges.
One man uses 357 magnum bullets for close shots and loves his 35 HCR for woods hunting.
The 35 HCR can be down loaded to 35 Whelen velocities and with a good 180 gr bullet could kill at any range.
I truly don't need it, but I sure think about that rifle/caliber a lot!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
D-S-

Bottom line is ballistic coefficient and velocity-- any caliber with similar BC and V will have the same trajectory. This was the revelation that Speer #14 had for me. Find a caliber you like that can deliver the velocity with the Ballistic Coefficient for the bullet and you are in Nirvana.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread but I would like to hear responses to the new cartridge.
Hill Country Rifles chambers this round in their rifles but I have heard of other gunsmith's that have considered chambering for this round.
It's a 338 win mag case necked up to 35 cal and has taken game both in Africa and North America at all distances,they call it the 35 HCR.Any interest?
Way back around 1958, Norma invented the .358 Norma Magnum. The 35 HCR is more or less the same thing, with the advantage of cases being easily made from .338 WinMag cases. One can still buy .358 Norma Mag cartridges and cases. I had a Weatherby Mark V Safari in .338 WIn re-bored to .358 Norma - a very nice rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts