Shooting World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D :D :D :D Oh, yeah! The 210 gr Barnes bullets seem to be grouping to minute-of-deer, maybe better with some tweeking. Still fiddling with 230 (235?) gr noslers...erratic??? And Loves-2-Safari was dead on: a Weatherby is designed to feed properly from a vertical magazine... not tilt allowed. be safe.
///olde :D 8) :D pharte///

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:evil: Sheesh! These 210 gr Barnes bullets are giving me a fit. Tried a few loads and they look good and get smaller but hit the wall at 2 - 3 inches and get no smaller. Will try more powder and hope to get to range Tuesday.
///olde :roll: pharte///

·
1,876 Posts
The Nosler 260 is about the smallest bullet most 375' s will digest well. This is a bigger bore...got to get used to that idea. :idea: Many 30-06's don't shoot 100 or 110's well...same difference. If you want to shoot 210 or 230 gr ammo, you might consider getting a 325 WSM or a 338.

I have never had any good results with Barnes all copper bullets. I guess that they may shoot OK if I clean the bore after each shot...???

My two cents...and worth half that... :wink:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:cry: That's the second time this week I've been told to forget the wee pellets in a .375. Maybe I need to clean my ears and listen up... If the forecast rain doesn't show up, might get to shoot Tuesday. I am getting frustrated with this stuff AND the season opened here yesterday... need to be in the bush.
///olde :( pharte///

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Touched off five 300 grain :twisted: "redline" elephant loads (you can't be too careful around a college town) Saturday. One notices a marked increase in recoil as compared to the squirrel loads. That rifle kicked me! :roll:
///olde :shock: pharte///

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D Tightened action screws and moved closer to max powder... closed up groups to the point they ARE groups, not patterns. Hornady 220 gr seem ok, Barnes magic XXX are not doing much for me yet.
///olde :roll: pharte///

·
1,876 Posts
gsp

You are on the right track, IMHO. I'd stick with the Hornadys if they are working. I've had no success at all with Barnes all copper bullets and have given up on them. I still like the Originals, though, but the company is dropping many of them from what I hear. They are a bit unusual...but, so am I... :?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:!: :!: :!: It was the :evil: blankety-blank scope. Leupold repaired it for no cost and very promptly. Yesterday I shot three of those cussed Barnes 210 grainers into a 1.7 inch cluster at 100 yards. Maybe not a ground squirrel load, but good enough to shoot some venison... if I EVER see another one OFF posted land. Those things can read posted signs, huh?
shoot safe
///olde :lol: 8) :lol: pharte///

·
Registered
306 Posts
Remington XCR in 375H&H topped with a Kahles 2.2-7X36

This is the average group at 100m shooting 270gr Woodleigh PP pills.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It’s also excellent for small game.

I just wish that it was control round feed but as it only weighs 8lbs has very little recoil and will handle 300m shots with ease I guess that I have very little to complain about.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts

That's the kind of hunting Luvs2 likes. Using a 375 for hares is kind of like him using a 416 for coyotes!

You should never go under-gunned is these situations. You just never know when ya might have to stop the charge of one of these. HAHA!

Oh, good shooting!

HWD

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Hey-

Just remember the rabbit scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I guarantee you'll always grab the .375 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
306 Posts
My view is it doesn’t matter how accurate your gun is so much as how accurate you are with it.
IMO there is no substitute for experience, and when I buy a new big game rifle I like to get acquainted with it by hunting small game 1st, only after I am comfortable with them do I then proceed to go out after big game with it.
I cant fire much more then about 20 rounds from the bench with my 375 before it starts hurting and I develop a flinch, however I never feel recoil when I’m shooting at something so if my subconscious is remembering what it feels like when I’m firing at a bunny as opposed to sitting at a bench then hitting that big deer or scrub bull at 50m becomes a walk in the park.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guy with young eyes and a non-smoker's trigger pull shot my .375 235 gr Sierra spitzrs into 1 inch last week.
Did somebody say, "Dummy, it's the INDIAN, not the bow!"? LOL
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
306 Posts
You might want to try a reduced load, I have started loading 67gn behind a 220gn Taipan FP. It is an accurate load that has about the same recoil IMO anyway as a 30/06, it is actualy more mild to shoot then my mates 270win.
With a light load you can practice all day if need be, and it realy drops Goats an Pigs well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Weatherby MK V .375 H&H went :cry: yesterday to live with a young fella who is going to Africa next year. I sure wish him tons of luck. Now that I have trouble walking even a half-mile, I've sent a couple of my good guns to better homes where they will not be neglected! Still got my Sara Brady :lol: approved AR10
and my trusty .17 rimfire, so I get to go to the bench occasionally. Too darn hot this week!
///olde 8) pharte///

1 - 19 of 19 Posts