.376 rifles?

Discussion in 'Medium Bore' started by 1gsplover, May 20, 2005.

1. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Can one of you knowledgeable folks suggest a few rifles chambered for .376 Steyr? Thanks.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

:roll: How about a Steyr? :shock: :wink:

Next Question...

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I believe that SSK has barrels chambered in the 376 for the Encore...just can't imagine why... :?

The 376 is a great heavy plains game caliber, Alaskan bear caliber, and a marginal African dangerous game caliber. Why would one want a tooth jarring single shot in a caliber like this? It belongs on a Battue type magazine rifle that will hold at least one in and four down. :!: AND...due to its extreme chamber pressures, it requires a very strong action. :idea:

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:!: WHOA!!! "Extreme chamber pressures"... all I need to hear about that one. I like to reload, but I want a large margin of error built in from the start. Thus endeth my curiosity re: .376 Steyr.
    ///olde pharte///

5. grimel

grimel Guest

Re: re: .376 rifles?

Drift over to hogden powder and compare the 376 steyr to other common magnums. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle

Remember it's being used in an Encore pistol.

Someone asked why in a single shot? Well, the single shot is the choice for a handgun hunter wanting bigger game or more authority on something like elk, moose, bears, etc and the 376 Steyr in an Encore has more authority than a 375 JDJ in a Contender (which has taken all the dangerous game in NA and Africa).

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I would guess that it is loaded down considerably for a handgun? :?: As it is a thumb-buster, it would seem to have a very limited market. My hat is off to those who shoot it out of those little (relative..) guns. :shock: :shock:

7. grimel

grimel Guest

Nope, straight from the factory levels. It's near the top end for most people in a pistol.

The ones I wonder about are the ijits getting 460 Weatherby, 600 nitro barrels.

8. wwb

wwb Super Member

Here's one for the "ijits" who have gone totally around the bend. I'm a big fan of single action wheelguns..... but.....

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/ga ... 0/2943.htm

9. MacD37

MacD37 Well-Known Member

IMO, both 460Wby Mag, and 600NE cartridges are useless, in any rifle, and certainly useless in a pistol! In addtion to that 90% of the rifles chambered for either of those two cartridges never see a game animal, and are used as "LOOK AT ME" toys on a fireing range! However, as long as people will buy them they will be around!

I won a new Wby rifle chambered for 460 Wby Mag in a super bowl pot, and promptly traded it to a guy who had a Ruger 458 LOTT rifle. Ten days later the guy was wanting to trade back! He sold it, to some other masochist who never shot it at all, as far as I know! A 600NE double rifle weighs in at 16 pounds, and still crosses your eyes from recoil, so what posseses people to chamber a pistol for that cartridge? :shock:

The 376 Steyr only came in the Steyr Mannlicher scout rifle , which was about the uglyist push feed rifle I've ever seen. The ugly rifle, and the cartridge's haveing to compete with the old 375 H&H, has started ringing the "bell that tolls" for the 376 Steyr cartridge!..............R.I.P. :twisted:

10. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The 375 Ruger gave it a finishing shot... :wink:

Drop-Shot,

Have you been shooting your (my :wink: :lol: ) 375 Ruger any?

11. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

It would seem Steyr has even given up on the .376 Steyr cartridge. In their new ProAfrican and ProAlaskan rifles you can have 30-06, 338 RCM, 9.3x62 and .375 Ruger :shock: but not a .376 Steyr.

I had a Scout in .308 and found it rather handy and rather homely at the same time. Great shooter though. I can only imagine a Scout in .376 would be about as unpleasant as rifles can be.

I believe that the .375 Ruger pretty well killed off the .376 Steyr, not that I think it had much of a chance to begin with. A proprietary cartridge and a mega bucks rifle certainly didn't help it either.

12. skog

skog Guest

I wouldnt say that the 376 had "extreme pressures" I found max pressures at 62K with factory loads in the 57-58K range. Does this mean that the 308 also has "extreme pressures?" I think the reason the styer never caught on was the not quite a stanard size not quite a magnum size bolt face. I have heard that it was very difficult to get to feed because of the case body also having this weird size casebody. It had to have feed rails that matched that dimension. Many gunsmith refused to rebarrel a gun to it as the feeding problems and not too many major manufactuers were willing to redesign a reciever to match the unproven round. It also has a OAL of 3.1 which is wasting space in a long 3.34" or 3.6" action and to long to run in a short 2.8" action. The 375 ruger is just the nail in coffin forever banishing the 376 styer into excile. The ruger with the mag bolt face, 3.34 OAL is what the 376 styer should have been instead.

skog

13. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

The .308 runs pressures in the high 30K to medium 40K ranges- occasionally you'll see a load that hits 48-50K but thats rare in the the .308. The .308 chamber will also have a fair bit more steel around it than a .376 chamber in a similar sized rifle.

The .375 Ruger uses a fairly large barrel blank and the rifle feels somewhat out of proportion in my opinion because of it.

I'd call 55K and up pretty extreme and 60K+ is certainly so.

14. olli9022

olli9022 Guest

The .376 STEYR is still available in STEYR MANNLICHER rifles;
    the ProHunter and the SCOUT model are chambered for the .376 STEYR