4 gun battery

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by gator, Apr 22, 2005.

1. gator

gator Guest

This is just a fun question/poll that I've been wondering about for awhile.
    If, for whatever reason, you were limited to having just 4 firearms consisting of 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, 1 handgun, and 1 rimfire (rifle or handgun), what would they be.
    Consider your individual uses, tastes, calibers, etc. Also consider reliability and the logistics of repairs if this limitation weren't exactly by our choice.
    I'm curious which firearm from each category people would select. It doesn't have to be guns you already have but the 4 you would like to have.
    Let's have some fun with this one!

2. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

Beretta 391 12 gauge

Winchester Model 70 Left-hand .30-06

Beretta Model 92

Savage Model 93GL Left-hand .22 WMR.

3. Shotgun: Browning XS Skeet 12 gauge with sub-gauge tube sets

Rifle: Springfield M1 Garand 30-06

Handgun: Springfield 1911A1 Loaded Full Size .45ACP

Rimfire: Marlin Model 60 .22 with Bushnell Banner 4-12 power scope

The only one I currently have is the Model 60 :? .

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

Just the thought of being limited to 4 firearms makes me want to curl up in the fetal position in the nearest corner, but here goes......

Remington 870 12 ga

Ruger M77 (not the mk II... the original tang safety model) in .30-'06

4" Smith & Wesson Model 19.... OLD one - pinned & recessed

Ruger 10/22 - could there be any doubt?

5. gator

gator Guest

I'm still trying to figure out mine.
    I think it's already kind of interesting that the good ol 30-06 has been the caliber of the first 3 responses, although maybe not suprising.

6. gro

gro Guest

Browning Lightning

savage 10FP tactical 308

Jerico 941

marlin ND

7. ZachH

ZachH Guest

:p For me I would choose the following four:

Remington 7400 in .308

Remington 11-87 12 gauge premier

Remington 552 speedmaster 22lr

Smith & Wesson 629 Mountain Gun in 44rem mag.

8. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Bushmaster 16in M4 Type Carbine

Remington Model 870 Express Super Magnum Combo 12 gauge

Marine Corps Precision Weapons Section M1911 MEU(SOC) Pistol

Ruger 10/22

9. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

World wide usage;
    Rifle:
    Winchester M-70/Remington 700/Mauser 98 in 375 H&H mag
    Shotgun:
    Browning Citori in 12 ga
    Pistol:
    Browning P-35 in 9mm
    Rimfire:
    Ruger 10/22 in 22LR

North/South American usage;
    Rifle:
    Above models in 300 Win Mag
    Shotgun:
    Above shotgun
    Pistol:
    Toss up between P-35, Colt 1911 in 45 ACP, 6" S&W 29 or Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag
    Rimfire:
    Tough choice between 10/22 or 6" S&W 17 in 22LR

10. gator

gator Guest

OK, here goes nothing. After alot of argueing with myself, I'm
    still not sure if I wouldn't want to make changes.

rifle; Ultra Light Arms 30.06

shotgun; Benelli M2 26" 12 ga.

handgun; S&W 686 4" .357 mag.

rimfire; Marlin 39a 20" .22

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Wow gator just 4 guns?That hurts but I like wwb's list except the 4 inch smith&wesson model,I like the 629 44 mag,the ruger tang saftey model 77,remington 870,and ruger 10/22 That gave me a headache just to imagine all my other guns were gone.Drop-Shot

12. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

hmmmm these are tough choices are u sure we cant have 2 of each? well ill give it my best shot

handgun:
    ruger GP100
    or ruger redhawk .44 mag
    or beretta px4 storm 40 s&w

rifle:
    Remington CDL .270
    or Ruger #1 30-06

Shotgun:
    Ruger red label 20 ga.
    or Beretta silver pigeon S 20 ga.

Rimfire: (this is the easy category)
    Ruger 10/22 (no contest nothing even comes close)

I suppose you can see what manufactures I prefer theres many many more I just cant decide on but i guess thats why I keep buying more right?! Lifes too short to only own a few guns Im gonna own every gun I want and can afford when I get out of college

Aaron

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Aaron remington and ruger are great guns,I have a remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen on lay a way from Kelsey at High Mountian Hunting Supply.He makes it so easy to get the rifle,shotgun or pistol you want.Super prices and good folks,can't ask for more.I may put a leupold 2-8X36 on lay a way and one day I would like to put a CDL 270 on lay a way also.I have been hearing great news on the remington 597 22 semi- auto.It will take years if ever to catch up with the 10/22.Hows school going?Drop-Shot

14. markIVbigblock

Well I have a 597 too and its an alright gun not even close to the ruger 10/22 though. the 597 needs to be cleaned much more often and dont even get me started on the magazine it is a pile of s^%t schools goin pretty good all A's except 1 A- my material science class is BRUTAL i dont think anyone has ever got an A in it but they are talking about raising tuition for the college of technology students so I may not be back next year if they raise tuition I wont be able to afford it but ill keep my fingers crossed and we'll see what happens.

Aaron

15. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Aaron I hope you can stay in school and with those grades you may qualify for a grant.I entered a contest for a rem 597 in 17 HMR,I have never shot one but yours is the first bad news I have heard.The gun club I joined has 1 member that shoots 2 597's ,one is a 22 mag and said he loves it,and wants to get the 17 HMR.He popped off a full clip at 50 yards and kept his group super tight,he is a gunsmith and I didn't ask if his was box stock.The most accurate 22 I ever owned and still own is a marlin 39A lever,I used to own a 10/22 but for some unexplained reason I traded something for it.I must have killed 100-150 rabbits with it and several coyotes.I scoped it but never shot for group size,I always expected it to hit where I pointed it and if I ever had a fail to feed I don't remmember.The ruger is the 22 remington has to chase if they want to stay competetive.Aaron make your dreams come true now don't become some one that wished he had more education,this world is more specialized and young folks have to specialize in a hard market.Become better than average in something.Sorry to sound like a parent,my son worked for Microsoft as a hard drive programer.Here he is looking for a computer componant job but it's hard here.How is that 270 CDL?I am getting by july a CDL in 35 whelen,I have it on lay a way with Kelesy at High Mountain Hunting Supply.He made it too easy to get it,I just had to.Happy hunting,Drop-Shot

16. The Marlin 60 is better than both the Remington and Ruger :D :wink:

17. gator

gator Guest

Dropshot, I'm with you on how tough it is to imagine or pick. I gave myself a headache trying to choose and I'm still not sure. I guess thats why it took me 4 days to answer my own question. I had to consider for myself and wondered if others would lean to sporting, competition, defense, or survival in their decision. Also, do you not select a semi auto for a possibly more reliable action.
    Some that I didn't choose were--CZ 550, Springfield Socom M1-A,and a slew of 1911s.
    For now I'll stick with my choices. Thanks

18. markIVbigblock

dropshot,

dont get me wrong the 597 is a great gun its just i think the magazine design sucks. and my ruger still has the edge but i wouldnt hesitate buying the 597 again. Im glad ur finally getting ur 35 whelen 700CDL i know uve wanted it for a while I like those older calibers too the problem I have is i dont reload so finding ammo is a problem. hopefully soon ill have a ruger 77 or ruger #1 in 257 roberts but im into shotguns too and i want a new o/u hmmm so many guns so little time...and money :shock: the .270 is doin good Ive shot it a couple times not as much as id like. just out on my granparents property we dont have a decent range around here.

Aaron

19. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Gator I have several semi-auto's for longer shooting sessions.I was down in the reloading room a few minutes ago sizing and depriming 45acp cases for my glock 21.I don't reload for 9mm,there too cheap to get set up for them,I have 2 9mm's,I do reload for my 10 mm cause it's more cost effective.When my butts on the line I like glocks or revolvers,or mabe an H&K mark 23,Glocks arn't pretty but I have never had a fail to feed with one BUT,I know anything semi-auto can fail and knowing my lack of luck it would happen with me,thats why I like revolvers,mount saint helens has erupted more times than a revolver fails.I carry a smith&wesson 629,with 44 special loads,My wife carrys a ruger sp101.I gave my 38 special to my daughter when she turned 21 so I need to get another.I saw several at the last gun show but they were over priced,I'll wait.I do have a defensive shotgun,mossberg persuader,9 shot.I am trying to raise enough to get an AR type rifle or get a stripped reciever and build one.Have a nice evening gator.Drop-Shot

20. NewtoSkeet

NewtoSkeet Guest

Remington 11-87 Premier 12 gauge

Remington 597 LS HB .22 LR

Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP

Remington CDL .243