.40 cal-------10mm ?????

Discussion in 'Center Fire' started by jcwat, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

what is the difference between the two??? is there a difference?????? is the .40 cal just the old 10mm renamed?????????

2. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

I can quite remember but yes there is a difference I believe one of them Im thinking the 10mm but dont quote me on that is slightly longer and has slightly more power.

Aaron

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

4. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

thanks guys. someone at work was asking about it, i didn't know, but i thought they were close to the same thing but not the same thing. just researching for myself.

5. wired

wired Guest

The way I understand it from what I've read several places, the 10mm was developed as a load for the FBI. It is loaded pretty hot. They dialed it back quite a bit, and named the new cartridge the .40S&W. The .40 at it's hottest is essentially the lowest 10mm you can get. You could say that the 10mm is a .40S&W magnum, if you wanted to describe it in simple terms, in much the same way that some people call the .40S&W a "hot, fat 9mm".

That's what I've found, anyway. I could be a bit off on some details. All I know is that I love my .40S&W Beretta. Haven't had a single failure of any kind, though I shoot my 1911 more accurately. I think it's safe to say the .40 is here to stay for quite some time.

6. gator

gator Guest

Let me see if memory serves me right !. I believe the 10mm came about as a new law enforcement round, but had pressure problems with original loadings. Likewise recoil and the size of the guns themselves were too much for alot of LE officers especially female and smaller handed men.
    The .40 S&W came about to correct the problems with the 10mm and allow it to work with 9mm sized pistols. The .40 uses the same bullet as the 10mm in a shorter case much like .38 special and .357mag. share the same bullets. I may be a little off but I think you get the idea.
    Hope this helps.

7. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

Re: re: .40 cal-------10mm ?????

wouldnt 357 sig be the hot, fat 9mm? since 357''= 9mm

8. wired

wired Guest

Well, the .357SIG would probably be the "hot 9mm in a fat case".

Gator got it right on the reason they toned down the 10mm to get the .40S&W. It was a combination of pressures, recoil (which is not fun in a 10mm), and the fact that they wanted it to fit in a 9mm frame.

At least they left the 10mm out there, because it is quite impressive from what I've seen. I wouldn't mind adding something in 10mm to the collection (maybe a 1911).... just because I can :wink:

9. gator

gator Guest

It's a little ironic how the 10mm seemed to follow the same path as the .41 mag. Both were envisioned as the ultimate law enforcement round and suffered from the same knocks(recoil). Likewise they both became better known for their sporting applications.Unfortunately, I think the .41 is a much better round than it's current popularity indicates.

10. wired

wired Guest

There's a lot of that going around, ya know.

11. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Talk about a round that is under estimated,take a close look at the venerable 45LC. A friend of mine loads from 185 up to 330 grains bullets for all kinds of stuff. He has a carbine(16") and a rifle(22'') and numerous revolvers.Cowboy loads plumb up to loads that out do the 44mag! All loads are listed and not just"hey ya'll lets see what happens with this one" loads.

HWD

12. wwb

wwb Super Member

The killer loads for the .45 LC are, indeed, listed by the powder companies.... but you'd better take notice of the accompanying disclaimer that says something like "....for use only in modern firearms in good condition...."

Put one of those boomer loads in a vintage revolver, and you have death, destruction, and widespread panic.

13. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

All of these loads are shot in Rugers. All have been worked over and are well maintained. He's in the process of building a 5 shot revolver that is just unreal!

HWD

14. wired

wired Guest

Rugers seem to be very popular revolvers for people who like hot loads because the frame is built so well. A lot of people I've heard that shoot full .357 mag loads a lot (like me) prefer the Rugers to the competition for the same reason. They make a damn fine wheelgun, that's for sure. I can't wait to add a Vaquero to the collection! I might have to add a Ruger of some sort in .45LC now.....

15. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

All the more reason to get into reloading. Cowboy loads will seem like 22s against some of the stuff you can reload!

If ya buy the Ruger,get the BlackHawk instead of the Vaquero. The sights are fully adjustable instead of Fixed.

HWD

16. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

Spot on, as the Brits say! I loaded some :twisted: redliners :twisted: for my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, and that was a great fun milk jug and tin can buster... very loud and the recoil pushed the muzzle to the sky. :lol: FUN!!! for us big kids.:lol:
    As for that .40 S&W, try the 180 grainers out of my derringer. It is painful. The smaller bullets are not quite so uncomfortable, but you are ready to quit after 6 - 10 shots.
    shoot safe.
    ///olde 8) pharte///