45-70 for moose?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by DHM, Jul 26, 2005.

1. DHM

DHM Guest

I have an opportunity to go on a moose hunt in Maine next year. The only gun in my collection that I can consider would be my NEF 45-70. I love the gun and I would like to use it but I want to make sure it is an ethical choice.
    What would be the limitations of this gun/caliber for moose? Should I consider getting a new gun for the trip? I am not opposed to buying another gun however I would rather not spend the money if I don't need to. It can be well spent elsewhere. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. Reid

Reid Guest

As long as you use 400 grains or more you will be well armed. If you are using jacketed bullets make sure they are premium bullets. The 405 grain Remingtons are not a good choice for animals over 400 pounds, In my opinion.

3. DHM

DHM Guest

Thanks for the info. What about distances? What yardage should I keep my shot limit at?

Thanks again

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

If you are a handloader, you can build some real artillery loads for the .45-70, since you have a modern firearm.

If you're buying factory loaded stuff, it will all be relatively low power, since it must conform to SAAMI specs, which are mild enough to be safe in hundred+ year old guns.

As a general rule, moose are taken at fairly close range in Maine and Minnesota.... out west, there is enough open country to get a long shot. Factory ammo should be fine out to about 75 yards. Bullet selection (controlled expansion, bonded core) and shot placement are the biggest factors.

5. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

A 45-70 would be fine on moose as long as you shoot within range.

6. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

it will be fine in maine

7. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

I have laoded for the 45-70 quite extensively including some loads for the Ruger No. 1 you wouldn't beleive. I used to load shells for a fellow who hunted bear in Maine and Canada every year. He used a marlin lever gun. I generally loaded arounf 48 to 50 grs. IMR 3031 with a 400 gr. Speer 0r a 405 Rem. or Win. he thumped a bear or two every year with one shot. As far as range goes that all depends on the shooters skill. I used my 45-70 for everything for years and when sighted in properly I could thump things up to 300 yds. very easily.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

One of the gig game guides here in Montana uses a Montana Rifleman custom barrelled action in a McMillan stock in 45/70 and swears by it but keeps his shots within 200 yards.He has problems keeping a scope on it due to recoil but has recently bought a Burris and feels the problem is gone now.He uses a Barnes 400 gr bullet and never recovers a bullet from an animal.He swears by it.Drop-Shot