Shooting World Forums banner

45-70 loads

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mule 
#1 ·
just got my dies today. was wondering if anyone has any favorite loads. i plan on shooting a 300gr bullet. any help would be welcomed.

thanks,

john

#3 ·
:) 45-70 is a sweetheart to reload... very tolerant... mine shoots most any old load pretty good... and a couple hotrod loads very, very tight indeed. I'm not going to presume to recommend a specific load to you, but will say I've had good luck following the common wisdom that dictates beginning the loads with a couple grains less than max and CAREFULLY working up from there. Have fun! :D ///olde 8) pharte///

#4 ·
Many manuals list two or three pressure levels for the .45-70 Government cartridge. You must absolutely know what pressure levels your firearm is rated for. A hot load in a not so strong action could ruin your week.

I have to keep things on the mild side for my 1873 Springfield. Accurate 5744 with 405gr lead bullets works great.

Shoot Safe!
Shoot Often!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.