.454 Caull

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Big Yac, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

I know this is about a handgun and I'm sorry about that, but I figured this might get more responses here. I am thinking of getting a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull(9.5" barrel). Now I have never shot one of these and I hear they have a 'bit' of recoil to them. I shot a .445 Super Magnum the other week and was wondering how the recoil of these two guns might compare. Honestly the .445 Super Mag didnt feel uncomfortable to me, I'm a big guy and have never really been affected by recoil.

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've got the 7.5" barreled SRH and recoil can be fairly mild to pretty stiff depending on ammo. I haven't shot a 445 Super so I can not compare in any way. I shoot the 240 gr Winchesters for deer and they are pretty mild in the recoil department. They start about where the heaviest 45 Colt handloads stop and I would guess them to be not much more in recoil than a mildly hot 44 mag load when fired from a bit lighter gun. 260 gr MagTechs are much more severe in recoil but then they are moving out at a couple hundred feet per second faster. They are also very load and hearing protection should be used, even when hunting. I fired one round without protection and the ear ringing lasted for several days. The stoutest loads I've shot so far have been Buffalo Bore's loads with 325 gr lead bullets. The recoil is about the most I want to handle and I think it would be much greater than any 445 load. Again, wear hearing protection as the report is quite loud, even with molded ear plugs. I shoot alot of 45 Colt loads in mine for most purposes and save the Casull ammo for hunting. I use a scope for deer hunting with the lighter bullets and have the iron sights sighted for the heavy load for emergency use when in Alaska.

3. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

you may want to compromise and get one in 475 linebaugh its plenty powerful and im not sure if it would be too much recoil for you but you can shoot the 480 ruger out of it which is between the 454 casull and 44 mag for recoil i believe they make a super redhawk for the 480 ruger but if it were me i would go w/ the 475 linebaugh since it fires both for the same price but its jmo u may wanna check out the 480 ruger tho.

Aaron

4. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

ya know, I have had the thoight of the .475 Linebaugh in the back of my head but I think I'm still going to go for the .454 Casull then maybe pick up a .475 also :D
    I dont think recoil will be a problem for me. But I do appriciate everyones advice.

5. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

Big Yac, I have the the same gun you are looking at. I have a 4X Weaver scope on it. With 240 gr Win hunting loads, it's no more recoil than my TC in 44 mag. The 45 Colt loads I run through it are very pleasant to shoot. Some of the heavier bullet/load combos can be pretty stout - esp. some of the 325 gr loads.

Also, Uglydog mentioned about hearing protection...even when hunting. I SECOND THAT!!! I got off two rounds on a late season deer hunt this year. My ears rung for the next two days.

All in all, it seems to be a very accurate and reliable gun. No problems - everything has stayed tight through a few hundred rounds. If you could get both guns/calibers, go for it. If just one, I'd take the RRH iwth 9.5 barrel in 454. More and more loads and reloading data vs. the 475L and the 480R.

6. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I would also choose the 454 over the 475. My reasons would be availibility of ammo as the 475/480 is still not very wide spread and cost of ammo. I can get 454 Casull ammo from Graff and Sons, Sportsman's Guide, or Natchez for about $17/20 including shipping. 480 ammo is about a dollar more and the 475 is much higher. Inexpensive plinking can be done with the 454 using 45 Colts. $16/50 for cowboy loads is common and I found I can get locally remanufactured 45 Colt ammo that equals the lighter Winchester 454 load at $19/50.