6.8 mm military round

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 1gsplover, May 16, 2005.

1. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: See an article in current American Rifleman re: a new (relatively) cartridge for the military. 6.8 mm or .270 cal, so it says. To me, it looks like an attempt to find a middleground between the current varmint cartridge (.223) and the old timers' endall/beall/doall, the almighty .308 (30-06 Short). Anyone got any insider dope on this? Thanks.
    ///olde pharte/// 8)

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

It's something the military has been evaluating for some time.... there have been a lot of complaints about the anti-personnel effectiveness of the 5.56mm NATO, and this is an attempt to come up with an AR-compatible cartridge with a little more knockdown power. The total power available is limited by both the recoil-handling ability and physical size of the AR receiver.

Funny - it's actually a variation on a REALLY old cartridge. Remember the old .32 Rem and .35 Rem cartridges for the early Remington autoloaders (Model 8 era)? This would actually be a .27 Rem, if you wanted to call it that.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

WWB my dad used to complain during the Korean war that 1 man could not tote enough ammo during a heated firefight,he loved the effective 30/06 cartridge but saw a need for a lighter round for a soldier to carry enough for a firefight.The 308 in the M-14 came out and alot of folks liked it but my dad said it was almost as heavy to carry enough ammo,better than the garand but still too heavy to carry enough.He was unpopular for carrying 2 45's and 13 clips as well as his garand.I hope this new round will allow soldiers to carry enough ammo and still be able to walk several miles and be effective,alot to ask for a cartridge but mabe this one will kill.27 caliber is bigger than a 22 caliber,mabe this is it?Drop-Shot

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I read the American Hunter evaluation by Bryce Towsely on this cartridge. It seemed to do a number on the deer he killed with it so I'm sure it will help our men in the military.

5. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

So, why not adapt the commie round - 7.62? Tested and proven...

6. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

The deal with this new 6.8 cartridge is that they want it to fit throught the same magazine well that they have on existing M-16's, M-4's etc.. They want to be able to adapt existing weapons with a new upper reciever, bolt and magazine and keep the old lower receiver. It's a money saving step.

The infantry types have long been trying to stretch the effectiveness of the 5.56. First the changed the powder, and then they made the heavier bullet and changed the twise to stabolize the longer, heavier bullet.

So, this new round has to be short, or it won't fit throught the old magazine openings. Since the case will be so short it won't carry much powder, so the muzzle velocity isn't much.....seems like I read 2800 fps with a 115 grain bullet. Still that'll pack more wollop that the old 63 grain bullet at 3200 fps.

They want more knock down power as well as extended effective range. I think this new bullet sounds like a good thing....I think they used the same case as the old 30 and 35 Remington rounds. So, it'll be a short squat round, which means it'll probably shoot pretty straight.

BTW: You can by an upper receiver, new bolt face and magazine for your AR-15 now. They cost around $350. I've read that the 6.8 is a pretty good dear round.

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Anything is got to be better than the 5.56(223).

8. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

Re: re: 6.8 mm military round

where?

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Wudjalike2know I have found them at bravocompanyusa.com
    but a little higher than 350.00.They will come down in the future but all the web sites I found them at were 450.00- 499.00,also check out ar15.com,the forum there says they will start coming down when they get as prolific as 223's.There may be better prices out there,I just haven't found them yet.Drop-Shot