7 Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Center Fire' started by TXVAshooter, Jan 31, 2005.

1. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Got a good deal on a rifle chambered in this. Local shops run high dollar on the shells. :shock: Like 30 bucks for a box of 20 remington accu-tips in 150 gr. This is going to be a deer rig, with the option to shoot an elk someday. So my question is, where do y'all get your ammo, maybe a few dollars cheapers by chance?

(Can't reload yet, not enough space)

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Tom,

Check out Wally World.They have put a lot of ammo on cleareance and you can beat the heck outta Dick's price. How far are ya from Fredricksburg? I believe that they opened a Gander Mountain there. Check them also. BassPro? Order on line... All kinds of advice here. If ya have a small space available, the Lee loaders don't take up much room and while the price is cheap these things work Okay.Check em out!

You didn't say what kind of 7mm that ya bought. Did ya get another lefty gun in the Savage?

HWD

3. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

HWD,

I'll look into wally world. Figured that'd be my answer, but thought someone might know of a place online, too. I sdo a lot of shopping online, for sure.

The Savage I picked up is a savage lefty, mdl 111 I believe. It's got a compensator I'm not thrilled about, but the price was hard to beat. All I need now is to find a decent leupold scope, always used old redfields (good scope!) or the loopys vari xII. Keep seeing the vari-x 1, but I'll pay higher dollar for the multicoated lenses, so I've got research to do, it appears.

TxVa

4. rich53139

rich53139 Guest

I have started to reload my own 7mm ammo because of the cost. I was buying Remington 150gr PSP fo 21.99 a box at the local Farm & Fleet and I think they were about the same a the local Wally World.

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I have seen 7mm Rem mag ammo for pretty reasonable at Wal-Mart and Cabela's. This was for the Federal "Power Shock" or whatever the light blue/blue/dark blue multicolored boxes are called. I don't recall the bullet weight but i think it was in the 150-160 gr range. Price was $12-$13 per box. Cabela's seemed to have quite a bit of it on the shelves when I was there on Friday. I'm pretty sure they can be ordered on-line too. I'd check the Bargain Cave protion of their website first. Wal-Mart is very hit or miss with a lot of miss now. You could also try Natchez Shooters Supply for the ammo as they often have good prices there also and MidwayUSA had some ammo deals going on but I don't remember if any involved 7mm mag.
    Also, check Cabela's for any deals on the burris Fullfield II scopes. When I was at Cabela's last, I checked out their Bargain Cave and picked up two of the matte 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex scopes with 12-24x spotting scope for $150 each. I don't know if this was an in store clearance or chain wide but it would be worth a call or look. Also try Natchez as they often have some sales on their scopes.

6. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

A good bet is to peruse the local marts as the on-line places don't seem to have as deep of a discount. Stock up on supplies just before deer season when the marts seem to run sales on ammo etc. Also check Walmart and other marts after the hunting season is over and they are trying to get rid of inventory. I once got 3 boxes of 30-06 ammo at one of the marts for $6/box a couple years back by buying at the local mart during the off-season. Would have gotten more but I got the last 3 boxes sitting on the shelf along with cleaning out the inventory of $3/box AA trap loads. Such opportunities don't happen all the time but be ready to take advantage of it when it does.