Shooting World Forums banner

8 bore ballistics

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  uglydog 
#1 ·
hey fellow shooters i was wondering if any of u could tell me the ballistics on the huge 8 bore cartridge cuz iv looked around the net n havent found any info on it so i figured someone here could tell me

lol no i dont have a gun like this nor would i care to own it but i am jus curious cuz iv seen a few dummy rounds in that caliber

#5 ·
The ballistics are not any different than from any other shotgun of the era. Muzzle velocities were generally in the 1000-1150 fps range and the shot charge was in the 1 3/4- 2 oz range if we are talking of the old blackpowder guns (there are some modern 8 bores that see/saw service in Great Britain and they would follow modern velocities though the shot charge would be a bit heavier as I understand). A modern 3" 12 ga is as efficient as these old guns and the 10 ga is more so. Modern powder technology has allowed the use of much heavier shot charges in relatively "small" bores which is something the vast majority of people do not and can not understand today. At the turn of the last century, the standard 10 ga load was an ounce and a quarter of shot; today that is a mgnum 20 ga load. The mystique of these guns is great but their effectiveness is not what one would imagine.

#6 ·
The old black powder Bore Rifles would shoot a single round ball or conical bullet. The largest was a 4 bore. The 8 bore was quite popular with early market ivory hunters. The 8 bore launched a 1600 grain bullet out, using 10 Drams (not grams) of balck powder. That is roughly 3 times the load for a 12 gauge...so there is your comparison.

The double barrel guns weighed about 15 to17 pounds and were carried by gun bearers until needed. This wasn't because the hunter was lazy. Nobody wanted a worn out shooter when things got a bit dicey. :idea: The sights were almost always a safari standing/folding variety, with the standing regulated at 60 to 75 yards, then folding at 100 and 200 yards. Wealthy hunters still use well preserved Bore Rifles to this day, just for "kicks". :wink: :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.