Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend Ryan recently brought over his airsoft collection and left it at my house so I've been playing around with them of late. I did a quick conversion in my head and figuered 8mm was about .300in measured with my calipers and lo and behold the 8mm BB is .310in/.308in diameter.

Which brings me to the new stupid idea of mine.

Can I just jam the BB into 30-06 brass with only primer and will it work? Will it be safe? Will plastic foul my barrel? How do I get plastic out of a barrel? Will silicone lubricant be allright to use to prevent plastic fouling?

Should I even attempt it? My reasoning is, if this works then instead of buying expensive fake guns, I can buy at least .308 cambered real guns for less and handload the BB's. I really don't think they would be tourney legal, but for private recreation I think it would be a hoot. I'm hoping for 500fps or less, and 5" groups at 100yrds.

If the standard primer is to powerfull, are there other types of primers that I can buy that have less kick to them? How can I cronograph one of these BB's? Or am I gonna have to do the cardboard box test?

Oh btw for people who thought I disapeared... no I only moved into a house and it took one month to get the internerd hooked up.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!! luv2safari Elephants are like dogs, you can tell alot about a person by how they treat thier elephant. =) Muahaha

·
Registered
85 Posts
re: 8mm Plastic Airsoft BB=.310 dia 3-4grn, handload for 30-

Don't know why it would not work.
I have used wax bullets from my 38 with only a primer for power.
I have shot 22 cal pellets from a 223 with only a primer.
100 yard groups are a bit optimistic. What does an 8mm air soft pellet weigh?
50 to 75 foot groups is what I remember. Minute of dog accuracy was good enough for my purposes at the time.

Carb cleaner will cut plastic fouling.

Have fun.........

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

8 mm should actually measure .323" or there abouts but that is nitpicking unless you want to use these in an inexpensive surplus Mauser in 8x57. The only concern I would have is the velocity and bore/projectile difference may be enough to shred the pellet on its way down the bore. I would not expect any ill effects as the pellets are extremely soft ad a primer just doesn't have enough energy to cause dangerous pressures in this instance. I believe 100 yards is a pipe dream though 100 feet would be a more likely maximum distance. Shooting them over a regular chronograph will work just fine to determine velocity. About your only choices in primers are standard and magnum and I don't think it will matter much.

·
Registered
376 Posts

i've thought the same thing with the .243/6mm bb's. it SHOULD work. would probably be great for stray animal control.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hot damn! thank you very much for you opinions guys. I'm booked up for the next couple of months so no shooting :cry: I haven't gone jackrabbit hunting, hiking, movie watching, shooting range, or anything fun in the past month and a half :( But on the up shoot I love my job :D I'll load up 10 of my 30-06 brass sometime next week, but I don't know when I'll be able to get results back to you guys. I soooo hope it works!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.