a good scope 4 my marlin

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by marlin123, Jul 8, 2005.

1. marlin123

marlin123 Guest

hello, everyone im thinking about getting a marlin 30-30 4 deer hunting this season im hunting in thick trees and brush and i dont know alot about the gun but ive heard good things so just send me a private messege or just write a reply and let me know your opion.....whats a good scope to put on it :D

2. wired

wired Guest

For dense brush and trees, I don't know if you'd even WANT to add a scope. Personal opinion, though. Your shots will probably be less than 100 yards every time. If you really want to add a scope, I'd get a very low fixed power, like a 1.5X or 2X or something. If you really wanted a variable one, get one with a very low powers like the ones mentioned before, and leave it there. You can use the higher magnifications to help you sight it in, but be sure it's on the lowest setting when you're hunting. Even a simple red dot scope would work well. Whatever you get, make sure it's compact so you don't disturb the good handling qualities of the lever action rifle. The .30-30 is a superb cartridge for that type of hunting, and that particular rifle is a classic to use it in. If you do some research, you'll find that an insane amount of deer fall to this combo year after year. Excellent choice, to say the least. Make sure you use a good quality hunting bullet and PRACTICE. Don't use a bench rest when you're doing most of your shooting, because you ain't gonna get a bench in the field. Practice standing, kneeling, sitting, and using a tree as a quick rest.