Accuracy question

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 1gsplover, Jul 17, 2005.

1. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: :cry: :?: Anybody have a suggestion for my .375 H&H W'by? First shot with 210 gr (two different loads) or 270 gr (three different loads) prints at point of aim. Second shot, from warm barrel, wanders an inch or so up and EITHER left OR right! Let it cool down for 20 min. and the next shot is within 1/4" of the first shot. I cannot find anything obviously wrong with the barrel to stock fit. I'm pretty well stumped. (As you can tell, I am not "deep" in rifle knowledge.)
    thanks,///olde 8) pharte///

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is checking to see if barrel is free-floating entirely, and action bedding. Other possibility is that barrel has internal stress from manufacture that may be relieved by cryo treatment. The Weatherbys have a fairly light barrel profile, so this can be exaggerated as compared to a heavier barreled rifle, especially with a caliber like this that creates a LOT of heat right away.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good call Pat,besides that are you using a scope 1gsplover?That brings in a whole new set of things to check.One of my friends brought me a savage that would not shoot in the same place no matter what scope we used.The base of the shell looked crooked,so I started lapping the locking lugs and 1 side didn't even touch.It took a better part of a morning to get both sides to contact the same,now it shoots 1 1/2 inch groups with factory 165 gr corelocks.The trigger is the pits but it will shoot now and does not sting the hand when shot.Take a spent shell and make sure it stands straight.Like pat said look for a shinny spot in the stock forearm channel,if ok try to slip a piece of paper under the barrell and see if it will go back to the reciever,if not sand it down till it does.Also I have an inch lb torque wrench to make sure the torque on the screws are equal.Let us know if that helps.Drop-Shot

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Thanks. Got a three-day weekend and it's too hot to consider yardwork! I should have a chance to check out that bedding. Hope to report progress Monday.///olde 8) pharte///

5. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:? Tooth extraction on Friday eliminated any large cartridge accuracy testing for the time being! Maybe next week...
    ///olde :cry: pharte///

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

1gsplover my jaw hurt just reading your post,I hope you get well soon.Drop-Shot

7. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:shock: We were using moderate powder charges. Slightly hotter loads seem to be taking this rifle toward better accuracy.
    I THINK.
    ///olde :?: pharte///

8. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

I've seen that in my .30-06, this is probably exaggerated in those big cartridges. They like to be fairly full of powder to keep the charge evenly distributed in the case so that ignition/burning is consistent from shot to shot. Then I've seen where the load toward the max end start to spray, and backing the charge off tightens things up again. Just goes to show you have to spend a lot of time at the bench to find out what your rifle likes. Keep working at it, and don't for get how much fun you're having every time you pull the trigger! Don't know if load development for a .375 would be my idea of fun though! :shock: :)