Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the remington 700 rifle which my dad gave me has an ok simmons 3-9X32mm scope on it right now but its so banged and scratched up that it makes it look ugly in spite of its great accuracy so anyways i have this cool BSA air rifle scope thats 6-24X40mm and i was thinking about mounting that on my rifle instead but i was wondering if it would be a more durable scope (internaly) cuz its an air rifle scope and made to take the unique "reverse recoil" that spring airguns put out?

lol i know i might be laughed at when im at a rifle range and somebody comes up to me and looks at my gun and sees the word "AIR RIFLE" under the BSA logo on the scope but hey who cares cuz il take accuracy over embarresment anyday :wink:

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I'm with Dirigo,the lenses will problely exit as fast as the bullet,save and get a good scope.I used to be a Leupold only man but have seen alot of quality scopes costing less thats just as clear,the Burris fulfield and Nikon Monarch are great looking scopes and are clear as a bell.I know its hard to have high wishes on a part time income but save save save.Drop-Shot

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
The main problem is that the parallax is adjusted for about 50 feet, or so. It might shoot all over the paper if you hold your head in just a slightly different position between shots.

Being for a spring type air rifle, it might hold up. I'd be curious to find out. :?:

How about we experiment on YOUR scope to find out the answer... :wink: :lol: If it doesn't, I have a bunch of junk...uhhh...good used scopes for sale... :roll: :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I believe that decent quality airgun scopes are extremely tough. They have to take the shock of the spring action, which can be considerable. It would be interesting to find out, but they are of no use on high power rifles because of the parallax issues, IMHO.

Eye protection is always a good idea. :idea:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well before i make myself look even dumber than normal isnt parallax whats its called when the scope is not in focus? if thats the case then this is a good rifle cuz theres a focus knob on the end of the scope that goes from 10 yards-infinity

if it breaks the scope im not worried at all cuz it was free when i bought a compressed air rifle from a friend and considering the retail price of the gun and that it wasnt hardly ever used i think i got a great deal on both the gun and scope

anyways i moutned the scope on the rifle this morning and all i have to say is that it looks awsome and i wish i had a sunshade to attatch to it to make it look even cooler

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: re: air rifle scope on my .338 ultramag?

luv2safari said:
I believe that decent quality airgun scopes are extremely tough. They have to take the shock of the spring action, which can be considerable. It would be interesting to find out, but they are of no use on high power rifles because of the parallax issues, IMHO.

Eye protection is always a good idea. :idea:
Very true on the eye protection.... I wear glasses, so I'm almost always covered in that aspect 8) . I'd go above and beyond (wear a helmet and trigger the shot with a piece of string) in this case. The last I checked, air rifle scopes were meant to resist recoil in the opposite direction from regular rifles. I wouldn't have a ton of faith in one to take the abuse in that direction, especially on a rifle like that. My hesitation may be unsubstantiated, but being rather cautious with such things has kept my @ss alive and in one piece so far.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: re: air rifle scope on my .338 ultramag?

Maser said:
well before i make myself look even dumber than normal isnt parallax whats its called when the scope is not in focus? if thats the case then this is a good rifle cuz theres a focus knob on the end of the scope that goes from 10 yards-infinity

if it breaks the scope im not worried at all cuz it was free when i bought a compressed air rifle from a friend and considering the retail price of the gun and that it wasnt hardly ever used i think i got a great deal on both the gun and scope

anyways i moutned the scope on the rifle this morning and all i have to say is that it looks awsome and i wish i had a sunshade to attatch to it to make it look even cooler
ahh, but have you tried shooting it? :shock: If you do, watch that scope flying around!

TxVa

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i may have 1 or 2 .338 cartridges lying around my room somewhere and if im not too lazy i will try to find them and then test fire the gun with the air rifle scope

lol wish me luck :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I hope everyone has sense enough to store any live ammo somewhere safe. I had a little cousin who lost his right eye when he hit a pile of 22LR ammo with a hammer. His big brother kept it in a jar on his dresser.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well when i got loose ammo lying around i usualy just put them on my dresser or in my shooting bag cuz i cant exactly leave them on the floor or else my mom will get a big surprise when vaccuuming my room :wink:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i only shot 1 shot with the scope on it and nothing happend to it so when i go to a rifle range im gonna site this thing in to pinpoint accuracy :D

right now its laser bore sighted to 100 yards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.