Airgun in the corner

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 1gsplover, Feb 27, 2005.

1. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Having a virtually unfired airgun gathering dust, I need to visit sites offering airgun maint. tips and basic shooting advice. Suggestions, por favor? Thanks in advance.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

2. chips

chips Guest

i've never done any maintainance to any air gun. they just seem to work fine until they break. my crossman 1077 is over 10 years old, and it still does what it's supposed to do :eek:

but if it has any moving parts, i'd throw a little bit of hoppes or rem oil on it. i'd also oil the metal to keep it free from rust. put a very light coat of oil on any rubber gaskets used to seal a bolt or a c02 in place to keep the rubber from drying out and cracking.

that's about all i have...

3. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Interesting stuff! Thanks 8)

5. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

There is a company called Airgun Express in Montezuma Iowa. They are the country's foremost dealer, supplying from what I've been told, most of the international and domestic competive shooters. I have spoken to these folks on several occassions and they were always of great help, especially Leigh Wilcox the owner. Their techs could tell you just what, if anything, you should be doing. Their phone number eludes me at the moment, but I think you can find them on the web at www.airgunexpress.com

6. Clayslayer

Clayslayer Well-Known Member

The old Crossman 880(?) hasn't been cleaned since we got it about 12 years ago. Still works fine. I'd just keep the dust off it.

Depends though, if it's a "cheap" one for shooting birds and the neighbors dog while it's sh!tt!ng in your yard I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep it clean and dry and use a very light coat of oil on it every now and then.

If it's a high dollar competetion grade airgun I'd treat it like any other high dollar firearm. Contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. Then do it!

7. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:D Yep, it's a cheapo for discouraging the neighbor's :evil: cats. I put a drop or two of oil on it and all appears to be ok. Like all my guns, it can shoot way better than I can.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

8. Maser

Maser Super Member

i got a break barrel spring-piston airgun that shoots 1000 fps(lol probly more now since its been shot so much) n i know that it says ur not suppose to clean em all the time like u would a real firearm but i clean it anyways n the worst chore i ever had to do was when i took the mainspring out cuz i couldnt get it back in without the help of a hydraulic jack

lol take my advice n leave the mainspring alone unless its absolutly necesary to remove it :roll: