Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oh, DS, you must be joking. You've got a .30-06, don't you? You're set. Hell, I've heard of people being successful on those with the 6.5 Swede, .270, .308..... basically anything that is a bit overpowered for deer seems to be the norm for caribou cartridges. As soon as I have the time and money, caribou is actually something I'm planning on hitting a guided hunt for. There's just something about those beautiful animals that I can't explain. Deer is a common thing, elk seems to be pretty dang common, but I don't seem to hear caribou hunting nearly as often. I guess I just like being different.

I suppose if you really wanted to play it safe, you could tote around an elk/moose rifle like a .3XX magnum.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wired,tell me isn't so,use what I already have?Thats not much fun,you know me well and most likely know whats in my safes as much as I do,but I was kinda thinking of,"new experience,so,new rifle"right?I have a safe full of nothing but rifles and could use any of the artillary I already own but I was thinking of a caliber that wouldn't be hard to carry and wouldn't kick too bad,the 30/06 would do great and I have 2 so I would have it covered,If finances don't permit a new purchase I could go with 30/06 ,and the new Hornady interbond 165 gr is the most accurate bullet I have tested this year so far in both 30/06's.Good recommendation buddy.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
426 Posts
:shock: New rifle is a MUST!!! .35 Whale, .358 Norma or Rem.,
.325 Win. Short? Looks like maybe it's time to seriously consider a Dakota, being as how those Boo are so dangerous.
Some guys have all the luck...
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Any some what flat shooting cartridge from .250 Savage on up would work well. Many use the .243 class but I'm not comfortable with them for animals larger than the larger deer. I used a .300 Win mag for mine as it is the gun that I had with and was the smallest I was comfortable with as there were grizzlies in the area. I would contact your outfitter for suggestions, what ancilliary animals one may encounter could be a factor in cartridge choice.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm always looking for that excuse Wired,I already have that 35 Whelen I bought in the spring and was thinking of a smaller caliber,I own a 243 but feel the shots will be too far for that caliber.I have several that would do the job,but the thought of a caliber that didn't kick all that bad sounds better all the time and I sure want a caliber I could use here.My brother wants a lefty savage in 30/06 or 270.The guide will be carrying a 338 win mag so I could go with a lighter caliber,when I was a younger man I used to like shooting the 300 weatherby mag,300 ultra mag and 300 win mag,recoil never bothered me,now I'm getting closer to 60 and am rethinking caliber selection.Thanks Uglydog sounds like you have had experience with them,I have the 300 mags covered and the guide that my brother knows suggested 25cal on up,he says they arn't all that hard to bring down but distance can get out to 300 yards so he says don't go too small and told of horror storys of a 6mm size rifle so 243 is out.His concern is accuracy,pratcice out to 300 yards with a solid caliber and don't come here with a semi-auto anything,He uses a 270 and 30/06 and keeps a savage 300 win mag as a loaner,I miss the 7mm mauser(7x57)I let go a few years ago.Keep em coming boys.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1gsplover I like your idea of the 325WSM,I sure like that caliber,at first I was skeptable but I'm gaining alot of respect for that 325.I already have a 35 Whelen,took a deer with it this year.I might just have the perfect caliber on hand but suggestions will help and if possible I will get a new rifle,suggestions on that too will help.Drop-Shot

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
The Alaskan caribou is a bit bigger and tougher than the Eastern Canadian critters. I think a 300 of some sort is a good way to go, probably with 165s. A 7mm Mag with 154-160s is also a good choice.

Figure what you don't presently own and rationalize getting what you want... :wink: :wink: The answer is so simple that it must have eluded you. :lol:

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
8point I used to shoot 7mm mag and never had an animal walk away from a good hit,it beats the heck out of me why I traded it off in the first place.L2S I got off the phone with another person that may go with us,my brother invited him,he is taking a 257 roberts but has never taken anything other than whitetail with it and feel it might be a bit light.I'd rather be overgunned than undergunned and since I have never even seen one before I wasn't sure which would be best.Thanks for the help guys.Drop-Shot

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
DS, you know how much I like the 257 Roberts and the Ackley version. They would be OK for those little French-Canadian 'bous, but the 7 mag is about perfect for the bigger western variety.

I took my first caribou in N. BC when I was 14 and used a great old Weatherby FN action 7mm Wby with a 3X9 Leupold, shooting factory ammo with 154 Hornadys. My dad used his old Win Mdl 70 in 30-06 with handloaded Sierra 180's. That was about 45 years ago, and I still think there is nothing any better for caribou hunting than the 7 mag...Wby or Remmy... The 300's are good, but not much more of an advantage for strictly caribou.

By the way, my first one was a woodlands variety, and was a helluvalotta work. We found them above timberline. :shock: Hunted in the Peace River district SW of Dawson Creek, not too far from Chetwind. We went up the Burnt River, then to the top of the mountains on horses each day to hunt. It was wild country, and we even lost a pack horse to a Grizzley bear one night. It was a gruesome sight, to say the least. The horse had gotten off the ramuda during the night and wandered off about 80 yards out of camp. The bear got him about an hour before first light, and the commotion spooked the rest of the horses. We spent that whole day finding horses in alder and Devil's Club...not the high point of the trip... :wink:

Have a great hunt, even though you DIDN'T invite me. :? :? :x

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that sounds exciting,I heard about the bear problems,thats why the guide will bring the bear gun,he has shot the big bears and everything else.His son works with my brother selling and servicing and installing top drive units for drilling rigs and travels with my brother all over the world,he is from Alsaka and his family guides individuals as well as groups,on an individual guided hunt they field dress the animal,haul it out and process it for the hunter.On a group hunt you have to do all that,they just put you in the middle of passages and you wait and sometimes move to another passage.I'm not sure how much it will cost but I was told to bring 1500.00- 1700.00,he did mention another price so I'm not real sure what the total would be,if that included licenses or not but if the group is a little larger the price goes down a bit,you still have to pay to fly there.The larger the group the greater chance you will be spotted so he likes to keep the groups between 5-10 hunters.I think I heard you get 2 animals with a standard license,that would be great.Since I was invited I'm not sure I could invite anyone but if I can you will recieve a pm.Thompson Encore 7mm mag,how does that sound?Drop-Shot

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
That sounds great for a trip like yours. A take down rifle is a real plus when going on a bush plane ride. Take a 22 LR tube for grouse, also, and some sub-sonic ammo... :idea:

I've been thinking of doing a float moose hunt pretty much the same way, but with only 1 or 2 other hunters. There is a heck of a lot of moose meat to contend with, even boned out and bringing out the better sections.

The Encore will give you a platform for many different choices. :D 8)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used a .308 Win. on my hunt and although the carribou didn't cooperate by being there the rifle should have been fine. Expect longinsh shots over open terrain and a light weight gun is very desirable as the walk could be very long over tundra.
Oh and a stainless one would be nice if the weather doesn't cooperate. Carribou are a great hunt and better eating! Have a good time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have taken 2 caribou with a .270 (one of my faves) and one with a .243 (which is the smallest I would use for caribou). My Dad uses a 7mm magnum and it works great. I personally would use a 7mm magnum, but anything .270 or "bigger" will do just fine for caribou. Dont let someone tell you a gun is "overkill" because there is only ONE degree of dead and MANY degrees of wounded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hunt caribou every year. Use a caliber that is a little larger then you would use for a deer, and use a bullet slightly larger. Personally I like the 243, and yes, there is such a thing as overkill. Caribou usually travel in herds and travel very close together. I saw a guy kill 3 caribou with a single shot out of a 30-06. There was a big stag standing in the open but we didn't see the 2 does standing 50 yards behind him. It happens very often hunting caribou. More often then you think. :? Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you really need a reason to get another rifle for your safe, why not try the .350 Rem Mag. It surely will down any boo you see and will also do double duty for any thing else you may run up on. The 200 grainers at 2500 fps will do the deal for any boo on this planet, and you can have some 250 grainers in you pocket "just in case". True, a 300 yard shot with the 350 is just a bit far with it -10 " drop out that far, but I would wager that a 150 - 175 yd shot to be a much more normal distance.
Besides, when you are through with the serious hunting, you can always shoot 158 gr pistol bullets at the tree rats and the bunnies !! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.