Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dead set on getting my 6.5 Swede here in a month or so, and I was wanting some opinions from people who have honestly hunted with it. With the 140-grain loads with appropriate bullets, what would be the biggest animal you would consider hunting with it at about 200 yards max, and what other loads would be useful for the large game? I've heard deer, I've heard caribou, I've heard quite a few other things. Whoever can honestly say they've hunted game of any kind with it is who I'm looking for here. Thanks for any info, guys.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I hunted several years back in the early 70's with a .264 Win Mag..... aside from a little more ooomph, same caliber.

Bullet selection was pretty meager back then.... I took a couple Elk at 250+ yards with 140 grain jacketed soft points (Winchester silvertips, if I recall correctly), took a couple whitetails at 150+ yards across a swamp with 120 grain Remingtons.

In Norway/Sweden/Finland, the 6.5 swede is used for Moose and Caribou.... both pretty good sized animals. With the premium 140 to 160 grain bullets available today, I'd say the 6.5 Swede is adequate for anything short of Brown Bear.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re: another 6.5 Swede thread

It's good to hear I can use this on some fairly large critters. I got wind of Nosler introducing some 6.5mm Accubonds, which look to be a pretty good bullet for the larger game, but they're starting out with I think it was 125-grainers. They already make a 140-grain Partition, which I'd be interested in trying out for something like caribou.

-edit-
more questions:

Do the larger bullets (160ish) work as well in the Swede as the lighter ones? I know with the .308, the case capacity is too small for the larger .30 bullets like the 200gr. Is the case of the Swede big enough for the big bullets? If it is, I'll probably stick to something in the 125gr range for deer and smaller, and load up the 160s for bigger work.

The twist rate for the rifle I'll be using is about 1-in-8ish, from what I've heard (anybody know what the twist rate of a CZ550 really is?). Would any of the 6.5mm bullets from 120-160 stabilize okay with this twist?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My M96 swedish mauser has a 1 in 7.5" twist,
and 29.5" barrel.
looks more like a thread than rifling,
in fact once when loadin some sierra 85gr HP's ,
about 1/2 of them wouldn't even make it to the target, but disinegrated in mid air at 318,000 RPM.
The tight twist is designed to stabilize long heavy bullets,
it was originally designed to stabilize the 160gr round nose bullet.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
:? I have never had the 6.5 Swede, but did try the . 264. It was a great gun. Like the guys said, when I was using it bullet choice was small. I think one of the standard loads for the old 6.5 was a 156 grain bullet. Under a couple hundred yards, it should be a killer. Keith, a famous big bore fan, had only good things to say about this 6.5, because of its long heavy bullet. If I live long enough, it is one I want to try. :wink:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good stuff about the .264 mag too, other than burning the hell out of barrels.

The 156-grainers are the typical bullets from the Swedish Mauser catridge, if memory serves me correctly. When I get to go do my caribou hunt one of these days, I'll probably try something in a 156, if there's something suitable available. If not, I'm thinking 140-grain Hornady spires.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
:D Wired, Hope you get to do that caribou hunt. I think I would go with the 140's in a 6.5 on the off chance you might have to shoot a longer shot. :lol: That is the thing on a hunt like that, one we seldom make, you may only get one shot at a great animal, and it might not be at 150 yards :cry: We never had to shoot caribou much over 175 yards, but had the monster had showed up at 400 we were ready. :lol: A couple years ago my wife shot a huge cow moose about 200 yards with a 140 grain Nosler Bal. Tip. She hit perfectly just over the heart and low lungs. It was from an old 7mm Rem. Mag. with about 1200 rounds through it. I never saw a moose go down so fast with a chest shot. One step and crash :!: It sure impressed us :shock: It impressed the moose too. :wink: Good luck on making the hunt. :D I feel 140's would serve you well :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I've shot two deer with my little 6.5x55 using Winchester factory loaded 140 grains. From about 40 yards went through a doe's spine and I didn't see the fawn behind it (I know, always know what's behind your target, but this was a few years ago now) and went through the fawn.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have nailed everything down here from Rabbits to Scrub Bulls and about 20 or so Red deer with the good old 6.5X55 and 140gr pills. IMO there are few rounds as versatile as the old warhorse.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have used a 6.5X55 on the local Blacktails for over a decade. Mine is a custom Mauser. I can't recall ever shooting one twice. I load a 120 gr. Hornady in front of a case load of IMR 4350. Most of the shots have been around a hundred yards but the gun has collected three or four bucks at 300+. You won't go wrong with the caliber on deer sized game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: re: another 6.5 Swede thread

wwb said:
In Norway/Sweden/Finland, the 6.5 swede is used for Moose and Caribou....
Thats true. But I think that if you shoot mooses or bigger animals there are many better calibers. Even thought 6.5 swede is the most popular caliber in sweden when they hunt mooses. It's good caliber if you shoot far away some animals with are smaller than moose and if you don't want use magnums.

I'm sorry my bad english :oops: :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.