(Another)Media Problem

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by [Smoke], Sep 1, 2005.

1. [Smoke]

[Smoke] Active Member

How can I get rid of the dust from the media? I read somewhere to add alchohol to the media but to me that sounds like it would dry the media out and make the dust worse. The amount of dust is incredible. Willing to try anything at this point. :x

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Smoke,

The dust is just part of it. Sorry. What I do is this....My tumbler came with a filter/screen thingy. I have this sitting on a small bucket and pour the media and shells into this. After the tumbler is empty,I wipe out extra dust that's on the sides and bottom of tumbler due to static.

At one time, there was an additive that you could add to ypur media. I never really liked it because it left the shell feeling a little oily. Try different brands and types of media. I've found tha walnut shell to be less dusty than the corncob type.

Hope some of this helps ya!

HWD

3. [Smoke]

[Smoke] Active Member

Thank you for the feedback. You wouldn't happen to remember the name of this additive do you? I think I would rather put up with a little bit of an oily feeling than so much freakin dust.

4. peter

peter Guest

Dillon sells a media additive that speeds up polishing and gets rid of the dust problem.Or you can put a teaspoon of chrome polish in the media.
    Peter