Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMO the cross-bolt safety is better with young and inexperienced shooters, only if they are trained in its proper use.

A half-cock safety in small, cold, gloved hands is a scary thing.
I do volunteer training with young people. From a cocked, ready to fire position, if instructed to put the safety on, most times, the shooter will try to manipulate the half-cock before applying the cross-bolt. They must be trained to always apply the cross-bolt safety before lowering the hammer.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I much prefer the Marlin and older Winchester crossbolt safeties to the old style of none. I can recall three accidental discharges while others have been unloading the gun after a day of hunting. Inadvertantly hitting the trigger while working the lever appears to have been the cause and fortunately the guns were pointed in safe directions so no one was hurt. One of these were what I would consider a neophyte but the others had several decades of experience between them. Their comments afterward stated that this is not the first time they have seen this occur either. I have not seen an accidental discharge of any gun while lower the hammer to half cock but did teach firearm safety with a man who had shot himself when he dropped his lever gun from a treestand and it fired. A crossbolt safety was designed to prevent this type of occurance from happening. As mentioned by Mule, proper instruction is key to safe operation of this safety, not unlike any other potentially dangerous tool. I prefer the tang safety on the current levers but wish it was a bit more pronounced as a thick, well insulated glove can slip off the tang when pushint it to the fire position.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Marlin and Winchester lever actions of any era aren't noted for one hole groups but they are accurate enough for woods deer. Pre-1964 Winchester guns generally are considered more desirable as they had more hand machining in their construction but those made by U.S. Repeating Arms under the Winchester name are fine guns and a lot more affordable. Find one you like in the price range you can afford; that is the best gun of all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hoser said:
Or do most of you like the old style? OK, they're ugly, but are they "better" for real-world hunting?
:roll:
I can tell you as a left-handed shooter the CBS is a PITA. :evil: In today's litigious society it was a lawyer's solution to a non-existant problem. :? The following solved the issue for me nicely:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylo ... safety.htm

·
Registered
170 Posts
Damn it! I had already designed that part in my mind. What he did was almost exactly what I had dreamed up. When I get the 444P that I have been looking for, you can bet I will make this modification. I didn't bid on a 444P on Gunbroker because I thought it would expire and the guy would relist it at a lower price like he had done once before. Somebody bid on it in the last hour and got it for a really good price. :(

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I don't like it and feel it's a redundant feature,it makes the marlin not as attractive.I enjoyed the fix posted and will do it some day on 2 marlins that have the saftey.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
17 Posts
dang....
for once, i can honestly say, the ''fix'' that clyde sell's works perfect.
i have his cross bolts saftey replacments on ALL my marlins.
and how much better they make my marlins look !!!

no more , see a deer thro up your rifle and ''snap'' [and you [email protected]#$%^&&*^%$##@ !!!]

yes, im one of the old skool.

i hated the the silly things, and i hate lawyers...lol !!
best product out there for a marlin.

weet

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have no objections to the cross-bolt on the Marlin.
My first Marlin, in 1962, and my second, in 1981, don't have the cross-bolt. My third, an "1895 from '95", does have it. My first rifle was an '86 Winchester, over 60 years ago. The half-cock on the hammer always seemed sufficient to me then, as it did with the later Marlins. When the 'new' cross-bolt was introduced, I thought it just another expression of the dumbing down of America, brought on not as a reaction to potential shooter danger, but as a legal protection of manufacturers. I believe this response was typical, and responsible for the almost universal contempt in which the safety is held by lever action riflemen. You seldom if ever see or hear complaints about the wing safety present on old Mausers, or the tang safety on shotguns and some sporting rifles, or the nearly universal 'push to shoot' button on so many other guns.
I think we should stop worrying the subject. Use it, or lose it, or just ignore it. But accept the fact that it's here to stay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own a Marlin 1895ss, 1894 in 44 mag, and a 336 in 30-30 and like the crossbolt safety. I feel that a cartridge can be left in the chamber safely with hammer at halfcock. All one has to do is fully cock the hammer and push the safety. I use my marlins for home defense and think I have definite advantage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with waltzinjack. I find no problem with the crossbolt safety on new Marlins. I have a newer Marlin 39AS with the crossbolt safety and feel it's advantages far outweigh any disadvantages, most of which is aesthetics that can barely be noticed. Now, internal gun locks that require a special wrench to activate or deactivate? Don't get me started. Bill T.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hate em!!! (the cross bolts) gonna try that $10.00 devise. The crossbolt is a redundant item on very safe and otherwise near flawless firearm. My Dad started me out on a 1968 94', due to it's safety record. I find the Marlin quite similar...gg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been looking at an 1895 in 45-70, and I don't mind the cross bolt. I prefer the half cock, but since I know of several people that have inadvertently discharged a lever action when trying to lower the hammer to half cock, I could see it being usefull to set when lowering the hammer with cold hands, then take it off, so that it doesn't mess you up. does anyone make a modification to spring load the safety in the fire position? that would be ideal to me- when my hands are frozen and not working right, I can hold the button down while lowering the hammer, but once the gun is in half cock, the cross bold pops out and doesn't bother you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.