any opinions on the walther G22?

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by chips, Feb 23, 2005.

1. chips

chips Guest

well, ive been putting in some overtime for a while now, and after all the bills and other expenses, i think i actually have enough extra cash to get a new gun.

at first i was planning on either a hi-cap ak, or a kel-tec sub 2000.

then i saw the Walther G22. after some thought, i decided that another rimfire would be great. for $10, you canshoot all day, and the low recoil won't leave you in pain. i really like the looks of the G22. i found some reviews online, and it seems like it's getting some pretty good ratings. the only concerns i really have are the trigger pull, and the ejection port being right next to my face. one of the articles adressed the trigger pull, and described it as "smooth". i think ive made up my mind on getting the G22.

if you haven't seen it, here it is...

[​IMG]

http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/def ... e-100.html

i just wanted to hear about any experiences y'all have had with this gun. bad? good? what do you think?

2. wired

wired Guest

I don't have experience with the G22, but I owned a P22. I think (so don't take this too seriously) that the G22 is based off the P22, so this will give a disclaimer to some of my opinions.

Trigger pull should be excellent. My P22 had a really nice trigger, and it was a pretty fun sidearm to shoot. However, I had a lot of problems with it jamming and stovepiping. I believe that most of this was due to the barrel nut design (if they had redesigned how you swapped out barrels, I would probably have kept the thing). Possibly if I just put some Loctite on it and made it more or less permanent, I wouldn't have had as many problems. I also noticed that the safety selector moved around a lot as the slide cycled. You'd shoot 5 rounds, and all of a sudden the safety would be on. This is the main reason I sold it. I didn't trust the safety. It had plenty of safeties, though (too many for my taste, actually).

I'm sure you wouldn't have quite the same problems with the G22, as you don't have the barrel-swapping design on there. Also, the safety is probably a lot different. The trigger is quite nice, and I'm sure they didn't do anything different there. After looking at how the two firearms are similar and different, I'd say you'd have all the good points on the rifle, and would probably like it a lot.

3. chips

chips Guest

thanks for the quick reply!

i think i'll do another search on google and see if i can find any comments about the safety on the G22. if there are any problems on the rifle, i'd like to know before i buy it :wink:

i do think that the trigger will be a little bit different though... notice how far the trigger is from the action? ive heard that bull pups tend to have terrible trigger pulls due to the trigger not being directly connected to the action, but like i said, one article described the pull as being "smooth", so hopefully there won't be any worries there.

i think i can be fairly confident about buying a walther... it's not a cheap company like hi-point :lol: i think i'll run out to my local gunshop tommorow morning and see how much it'll cost to order one. if it's too mch, i found one on gunbroker for $329 new. i just wish there was one i could handle before buying it...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

update:

i went to order one from my local gunshop this morning, but it i had a problem with my account. it seems that there were several unauthorized purchases, so my account was locked down. it turns out that my dad had gotten my new card in the mail, and he thought it was his :lol:

ive got it taken care of, but i'll probably have to wait until saturday morning or monday morning to order it, so i'll probably have it within' the next two weeks...

5. chips

chips Guest

allright, it's paid for and it should be here in a few days :eek:

expect a range report shortly afterwards...

6. chips

chips Guest