Barnes Triple Shock

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by 8pointduck, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Trying Barns bullets out for the first time. Barnes TSX 150 gr.. Everything seems to be going ok except for bullet seating. I am getting small copper shavings at the top of the case when the bullet is fully seated. Does antone have this problem and if so what can be done about it?

2. gator

gator Guest

8PD,
    Assuming you chamferred the case mouth to take the edge off, it may just be a matter of the solid copper Barnes being so soft. The Barnes are made of softer copper because they don't have the soft lead core. This is why they generally leave more copper fouling than harder jacketed bullets.
    I'm hoping you have better luck than I did with the X bullets accuracy. I wanted to use them in several calibers but couldn't get any of them to group.
    Good luck, Gator

3. gator

gator Guest

8PD,
    Assuming you chamferred the case mouth to take the edge off, it may just be a matter of the solid copper Barnes being so soft. The Barnes are made of softer copper because they don't have the soft lead core. This is why they generally leave more copper fouling than harder jacketed bullets.
    I'm hoping you have better luck than I did with the X bullets accuracy. I wanted to use them in several calibers but couldn't get any of them to group.
    Good luck, Gator

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

8point...

The best way to get Barnes bullets to shoot right is to load Noslers. :wink: :wink: That softer copper will shave off on the mouth of brass cases. :x

I don't like soft copper in my bores. I don't like to loose density. I don't like bullets that don't follow their path through the animal. I don't like bullets that shed petals as they pass through an animal. I don't like bullets that aren't as accurate as they need to be.

I think that Barnes has done much for the hunters; I just don't like their all copper alloy bullets. Maybe I'm just a reactionary... :wink:

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Well , I'll try them out( at least 50 of them), and if they won't perform then I don't know what I'll do with this barn reloading manual.

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Barnes Triple Shock

Keep it! It is a great book with many hard to find calibers and much good advice. I use mine, and I never use Barnes Bullets. :D