Barret .50 cal

Discussion in 'Big Bore' started by Big Yac, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Big Yac

Big Yac Guest

has anyone ever shot one of these guns? I'm thinking of getting a big gun and while considering a .338 Lapua Mag or .375 Mag the thought of a .50 cal has slowly entered my mind. What is it like to pull the trigger on one of these? I'm sure a muzzle brake it pretty much a necessity. Any brand of .50 cal guns better than the other?

2. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

the Barrett Light Fifty or M82 is a semi auto .50 BMG and the Barrett people said it has the same recoil as a 12 gauge, but it has a massive muzzle break and reciprocating barrel. it also has a $7000 price tag

3. Maser

Maser Super Member

the only .50 bmg i ever shot was the LAR grizzly n i wasnt all that impressed cuz lookin at what a .50 caliber cartridge looks like i figured i would be kick a mile when i shot it but since the gun is so heavy n has a huge muzzle break the recoil is no different than shooting a 10 gauge in my oppinion

4. banshee

banshee Active Member

I haven't fired a Barrett, but I have an AMAC .50BMG rifle. It is a lot of fun. I am shooting 1.00 groups at 200yds with handloads. I bought a couple of can of TALON ammo and was not happy with it. I was getting 8 and 9 inch groups at 200 yds. The first handload I tried cut it down to just over 2.00 inch. I believe I can get the 1.00 down a little more.

[​IMG]

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

6. km71107

km71107 Guest

I recently played with a Barrett M82 semi auto with factory ball ammo. It seemed to kick about like my heavy barrel .308. Shooting it prone was not at all uncomfortable. Several months ago, I played with a McMillan .50 bolt action shooting handloads pushing a 750gr Amax at 3000fps. It kicked a little harder than the Barrett, but it was not uncomfortable either. It seemed to be about like the average 30/06 bolt action. One thing, they were both LOUD!!! Standing beside one of these things being fired would be a BAD idea. They were both great fun to shoot. If I ever get the money...... :twisted:

7. 260rem

260rem Super Member

I have played with an Accuracy International big 50 and damn there fun, recoils not a problem but as others have said the blast is amazing, it's like getting hit by a wave at the beach, while spotting for some one my hat actually was popping off my head.

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've shot the Barret 82 and 99, a McMillan single shot my father owns as well as an M-2. They do have a pretty good shock wave and the recoil is not objectionable but then the rifles are 20+ pounds with a heck of an effective muzzle brake and the M-2 was attached to a jeep. I briefly toyed with the idea of getting an M-82 as a shop I frequent has one fully loaded with options and a Leupold scope of some sort, I think a 6.5-20x, for $7000. It was a brief thought as my wife decided to put that money towards some unneeded household items like sheet rock, 2"x4" studs, and electrical items to finish off the basement. I am strongly against that idea as, once finished, she will want to further fix up that area and slowly squeeze me into a smaller and smaller area until I have only a small cubbyhole in which to put all my hunting, shooting, and reloading stuff. My fishing stuff has already been relegated to an area the size of a large dog house in a storage shed that she has taken over for her "gardening supplies". At least I will always have my vault room as only I know the combo for the lock.