Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big fan of the little Russian round and like many have shot a lot through my SKS.
But I have always wanted one in a single shot or bolt action rifle. It's good to see more rifles offered in this caliber I believe.
Though they don't shoot surplus rounds well-if at all- this leaves it to the reloader or other limited commercial ammo.
However with the slightly larger Diameter bullet (.311) there aren't too many bullet choices out there.
What do you guys think? Pros and Cons of the 7.62x39?

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Ive shot the Win factory loads(123gr?) thru a SKS and a buddy has tried them in a CZ rifle that he bought recently. In both the accuracy sucked. The sks shot the FMJ bullets better. My buddy took his CZ to a gunshow and got rid of it.
I don't believe this round is all that accurate to begin with. With a lot of work,you may be able to come up with something eventually.

HWD

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen some good accuracy from the CZ's in this caliber as well as the 7.62 Handi with relaods or good factory ammo. So I believe it's not so much the round as it is bullet diameter used. Being a foriegn caliber using the .311 where as in America the .308 is the most popular of the 30cals. Then again this is what 3 thousands difference? I don't reload for it, so I don't know how much difference this would make in this round.

· Registered
48 Posts
You would be suprized at how much diffrence that 3 thou. will make .

Just look at what happens with the oversized bores in the 44 handi's when you use a oversized cast bullet in them .

The thing is to get the bullet as close to bore size as possable .

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. I hear the 44Mag Handis can be a chore to reload for, if you don't slug the barrel and get an exact measurement.
What was the exact measurement of the Handi 7.62x39 barrel? I remember some confusion on what exact diameter it would be. .308, .310 or .311
Which did it end up actually being?

· Registered
79 Posts
It's supposed to be .311" with a 1:9¾" twist rate, but what the actual bore size is not mentioned by the posts I've seen on it. IIRC, milsurp shot ok if the round fired, but hard primers seemed to be a real problem with a lot of FTF. I think maybe a Wolff double spring may be the answer if you wanta be a ginea pig!!! Then all ya gotta worry about is breaking the transfer bar with the increased impact. :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.