Best copper solvent and cleaner around

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Drop-Shot, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I went on the benchrest rifle site and fireline and both told me of a cleaner that everybody is using.1/2 bottle of Butch's Bore Shine and 1/2 Kroil,I was told you could use shooters choice rather than Butches Bore Shine,which ever you have on hand .The hard part is remembering to let it soak at least 5 min and scrub with a bronse bristle brush,I cleaned 1 of my rifles and I installed a new scope on a friends rifle and cleaned it and a winchester shadow,man it works and the smell won't knock you out.Try it.Drop-Shot

2. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

What kinda cleaning this stuff do? Lead or copper?

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Both, along with carbon fouling,burn't powder residue, thats why I like it so much.Drop-Shot

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

D-Shot,

In soaking the bore, do you need to plug one end and then fill the barrel with the solution? Can you elaborate a bit? I'd like to give my elderly ADL a thorough barrel cleaning.

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Mountainview I didn't plug the bore on mine but 1 sniper for the marines plugs his if he can't get to cleaning for a week or two and shoots alot.He plugs his muzzle end with vacuum(auto) plugs,a short piece to dead end a vacuum port.He then fills the reciever end till full.He sets the muzzle end of barrel in a no leak container and lets it sit overnight.I didn't do that,I just soaked a swab and ran it through the bore several times and let sit for 5 min,I then ran a bronse bristle brush 15 strokes and resoaked the bore and then watched the copper and a carbon residue come out with cleaning patches,on one of my older rifles I had to repeat that process several times and used a bronse bristle brush much more than I wanted to,after the swabs started coming out cleaner I used a nylon bristle brush only,use what ever you feel is ok.I cleaned another friends rifle last night after midnight and it came out slick after 3 5 min soakings,the kroil is a good oil base product and protects against rust,I use pure kroil to lightly coat my bore after cleaning.Drop-Shot

6. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Wow DROPSHOT is really excited about this stuff he cleaned a friends gun. :D That's enough endorsment for me I'll give it a whirl

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

A friend of a friend brought his savage 110 in a synthetic stock over for me to look at.The trigger was super hard to pull and hunting season starts sunday and all gunsmiths are booked up.I pulled it out of the stock and the whole trigger assembly was rusted,I used the cleaning solution above and went with a tooth brush outside and soaked the trigger assembly,after soaking for 5 min I brushed it well,cleaned it off and soaked it again.it came out very good and a clean crisp release(he had it worked on by a local gunsmith several years ago)This stuff works on everything,I cleaned the bore and off he went.Is that a reacurring problem on the savage in a synthetic stock?I told him I would post this tonight to get opinions and mabe drill a small hole for water to drip out tomarrow.Its a 20 year old 300 win mag and has taken several animals every year with no failure,I think thats a good record.Let me know if this is a problem I have to be on the look out for.Drop-Shot

8. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I use the bore shine also. It is great and it really doesn't take alot to clean a barrel real nice. I was using hoppies and kleen bore and now I use the bore shine and finish with a patch of kleen bore to lube up the barrel. That bore shine will take out any and all lubricant from the bore. So lube it up when you are done! :wink:

9. gator

gator Guest

Shooters Choice and Kroil are a great mix that competition shooters have been using for a while. I use it at the range when needed. I first heard about it from thumbing through a Sinclairs catalog.
    It's my understanding that this is not a copper solvent which should still be used afterwards. Copper solvents are much more aggressive and should not be left in barrels very long and require a synthetic bristle brush to be used such as nylon. Barnes CR-10 and Sweets are two popular copper solvents but can cause barrel etching if left in too long.

10. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I recently purchased Barnes CR-10 and found it to be the best ever for my rifles.
    Reports say you do not need to soak over night but if you did, it would not hurt the barrel at all.
    I have used everything under the sun for so many years until now. The only copper remover I have in my cleaning arsenol is Barnes CR-10.
    10 or 15 minutes tops in the barrel with a wet patch and the copper comes right out.

11. Maser

Maser Super Member

well il stick with my good old outers nitro solvent which iv been always using and yea i know it aint the best copper cleaner but it dont matter cuz im not lazy and dont expect the barrel to be clean in 1 single swipe with the cleaning rod :roll:

12. 583

583 Guest

same here maser

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Why work harder than you have to?I have too many things to do than cleaning a rifle or pistol longer than necessary.Drop-Shot

14. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol u call cleaning guns work? i consider it more like fun but if u want work then do what i used to do on my work program which was carry 50 lb crates of tomatos back n forth all day :(

15. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I still have you beat Maser,at 12 years old I used to off load train cars loaded of cattle feed,100 lbs sack of corn and 80 lb sacks of sweet feed.2 train cars per month,80 tons per train car,all by my 12 year old self,when I hit 14 I started carrying 2 100 lb sacks at 1 time,1 on each shoulder.I know about work,cleaning guns if you have as many as I do takes more time than you think,working smart beats just working anytime.If I take 5 or 6 guns to the range(thats just an average,I have taken alot more) thats 30 min-1 hour depending on if they are handguns or rifles or shotguns,that could mean 1 1/2 to 3 or mabe even 4 hours,I don't have that much extra time to spend needlessly.Drop-Shot

16. Maser

Maser Super Member

yea well in my case i was doing it in the hot cali sun and when summer came along the average temperature was 105 a day :roll: o yea btw when i said 50 lb crates that was just an estimated guess so i dont know 4 sure but anyways im sure in ur case u were workin before child labor laws took effect :p

17. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Yea the late 50's,be very carefull of your back when lifting those crates,my back was great till a couple years ago,when you damage that back you can't have do overs and life starts to suck when you can't do the things you love.Drop-Shot