Big Bore?

Discussion in 'Big Bore' started by Lex Talio, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Lex Talio

Lex Talio Guest

Would you class a .730" calibre shooting a 730 gr hard cast heat treated bullet at 1400'/" for 3177 ft lbs muzzle energy a Big Bore?

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

LEX,

I don't know how I ever missed this...?!? YES, I would consider it a BIG BORE. :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8)

Please PM me, as I have a project for you...possibly...

3. Maser

Maser Super Member

i consider anything thats .45 caliber or bigger a big bore

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Big Bore?

How about a 404 Jeffery, or the 416s? :?:

5. Maser

Maser Super Member

im talkin bout the actual bullet not a specific cartridge :roll:

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Many are of your opinion. :) Having used the 40s in anger, I have to put them in the big bore catagory. When touched off, a 416 Rigby, Remington, Weatherby, or any of the "cats" or proprietary 416s are big bores! :shock:

I know of some die hards that won't call anything less than a 450 x 3 1/4 or 450 NO2 a big bore. I always tell them their brains have been rattled too much from shooting of these and bigger rifles. :? I may be going to a 470 Nitro Express for this last safari...always wanted to use this most classic round. On my budget, I'll have to buy a less costly Merkel SXS DR, then sell it after the safari. I get to use some great and unique rifles this way; it would be nice to be able to keep some of them, however.

If we all shopped right, any of us could use a dream gun for a hunt...then sell it at a possible profit, or maybe a small loss. :idea: :idea:

I have owned a jillion guns this way, and it is how I am able to shoot the more expensive big bore safari rifles...my only way :(

Maser, do you shoot any big calibers? Which ones, and your favorite?? :D

L2S

7. Maser

Maser Super Member

25mm
    12 gauge
    .577 tyranasaur
    .50 bmg

12 gauge is my favorite cuz theyr fun n cheap to shoot lol i dont get these ppl out there who buy guns in huge calibers jus cuz theyr powerful n then end up spendin like 30-40 bucks a round

8. MacD37

MacD37 Well-Known Member

Lex Talio, If one simply goes by the bullet diameter, anything bigger than a .400 cal is a big bore! I would say in the case a 730 gr, .730 caliber bullet @ 1400 fps generating 3177 FPE would "JUST" qualify!

There are many cartridges that have one, or the other, of the qualifying factors that make up what can be truely considered a big bore, in the true sense if the word, but fail miserably on the other factors. A true BIG BORE is a combination of things, such as the combined factors of Bullet dia, SD, (a factor of weight, dia, ratio to the length) , and velocity, causeing muzzle energy, and one of the most important, the bullet's ability to pennetrate deeply, and in a streight line, regardless of a tough skin, and hard bone.

I would say a 730 gr .730 caliber bullet, if properly shaped, and constructed @ 1400 fps, would tend to ruin an animal's day, and though FPE is not the best factor in killing power, in this case the very heavy bullet's momintum makes up for the lack of speed,and FPE, IMO! :?:

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I don't haw I missed this one either. Sounds like Lex is describing a shotgun slug out of a 12ga.

HWD

10. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Lex is a moniker for the father of the Dixie Slug Company which specializes in specialty shotgun slugs, mainly in 12 ga but is beginning to branch out into the 20 ga. I can't recall his full name at the moment, his real first name is James and he is a former executive of Winchester ammunition. He is a very knowledgeable guy regarding not only shotgun slugs but also handgun ammunition. He can also often be found on the Bitterroot website I believe.

11. MacD37

MacD37 Well-Known Member

Well the 404 uses a .404 bullet, and the 416s use .416 bullets

The 375 is a medium, and the big bores start a .400 caliber and go up from there.

There are two ways of looking at what is, and isn't a big bore. Bullet diameter is only part of the equation. The Bullet size, and FPE combined is what makes a so-called big bore a true big bore! However what ever floats your boat, set sail, if the 44 mag, or a 45-70 seems like a big bore to you, than do your thing! :?