binoculars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wired, Jul 15, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and get myself a good pair of binoculars. I had a cheap, crappy pair of Simmons that I was glad to lose in the woods the last time I went out. Since I'm planning on using these for a long time for many things, I wanna spend a little more $$$ and get a good pair. I'm thinking Leupold, Steiner, etc. I've kinda got my eyes set on the Steiner Predator series right now. I haven't gone to the shop yet to try them out, but I'll probably be doing that next week.

Anybody have a good pair of binoculars they really like? Would be nice to hear some reviews.

I went out wildlife-watching with my folks today. Dad's got an OLD pair of 8X40's that he got long before I was born, and using them again further fueled my itch to get myself a new pair of decent ones. I took my POS $100 spotting scope that I've had for a few years. I'm done buying cheap optics. As an amateur photographer, I should have known better from the beginning.

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've got a pair of 8x40 Pentax that I like a lot. They are light enough to carry comfortably and still have enough magnification and light gathering for all round use. I also have a set of 10x50 (I think) Leupolds but they are bulkier and not as easy to lug around. I carry those in the car when scouting for geese. I also have an old set of Redfield 7x50 that are really nice. The new 10x50 Redfield my wife has is almost as crisp and bright at dusk as the old but not quite. They don't feel as solid either, I think they use a steel alloy or thinner aluminum. Then again they cost her around $100 at Wal-Mart, mine cost much more 20 years ago.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Wired here is where opinions vary,I have an older pair of nikons 7x35 for long walks and I love them,the newer ones I looked at were not as crisp.I have looked all summer at all the ones I set out to look at and like the fuginon8x42 and the leupold cascade 8x42.Both run from 250.00-300.00,I will wind up with leupold for the warrenty.I was told the 450.00 steiners were the cats meow but I couldn't see it,mabe you will.Spend the day looking at them at all kinds of light and let us know what you decide.Drop-Shot

4. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, I'm actually heading to Cabela's this week to look through a few. On paper, I'm liking the Steiners, Nikons, and Leupolds so far. It'll be interesting to see what I come home with!

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Wired the best thing about the leupolds is the great glass and the best warrenty in the business.I was told the steiners have a good warrenty but I have not known anybody that owned them and needed warrenty,I guess thats a good endorsement.Let me know what you decide as I am looking also.Drop-Shot

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Wired,

My Brotherinlaw owns the Leupold Wind River Binoculars. Those things are some of the clearest ones I've ever looked thru. No eye strain here!

HWD

7. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, the Wind River ones are high on the list of ones I wanna check out when I hit Cabela's tomorrow. They had better have a pair that I can look through :evil: .

8. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Be sure to ask the sales person if you could take them outside. Looking thru scopes and the like, under artificial lighting, can be very misleading when check them for crispness and general usability.

HWD

9. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: binoculars?

Particularly something like the Steiner Predator and Safari series, that have fancy-schmancy coatings for specific uses. If they don't let me try them outside, I'll just go somewhere I can. If nothing else, they do have the huge "mule deer country" exhibit there, which would be the best place inside to try them out.

10. wired

wired Guest

Update:

Went to Cabelas today and looked at a lot of them (after I spent 10 minutes trying to track down an employee). Looked at several models of Steiners, Nikons, and Leupolds. The only problem was that I brought my parents with me. Dad likes the fishing section, mom likes the clothes, so they wanted to come with. While I was looking through the Steiners, mom showed up and started annoying the crap out of everybody (you've gotta know my mom to understand..... she's not exactly all there anymore). I found the pair I liked, went and picked up my Lee Classic Loader for my .308, and we got the hell out of there.

I've decided on the Leupold 8X42 Wind River Mesa. They're not as compact as I would normally like, but when you get compact ones, you usually sacrifice some other qualities. The coolest part about the ones I found is that I can look through them with no trouble at all with my glasses on. The exit pupil is large enough and the eye relief is long enough that I can leave my glasses on. The kid behind the counter at Dick's earlier today didn't even know what eye relief was. I looked at - and quickly discarded the notion of - the compact Steiner Predators, because they didn't spread far enough to align with my eyes.

All in all, I've got it narrowed down, so all I gotta do is pony up the cash. Thanks for all the input guys! I'm off to go deprime some brass now.....

11. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Hey I have a good question for those of us who have horrible eyesight. You know how you usually have to take your glasses off to look through binocs? well my eyes are so bad that most binocs can't correct for my prescription. Does anyone know of binocs made for or can be used by people with horrible eyes?

12. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,

Most bino's come with cups that roll down so those of us with the extra eyes can use em.

HWD

13. wired

wired Guest

My Leupold Wind River Mesas have an eyecup that twists down so you can use it with eyeglasses. The really cool part is that the eye relief and exit pupil size are so big, it works just as well with glasses as without. I love these things!

14. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I have good things to say about the Pentax roof prism binox. My 10X42s have gone on some rough hunts in every imaginable condition and have performed perfectly. I recently bought a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 10X42s as a back up set. I am so impressed with them for the $$$ that I have been using the Nikon pair as primary. :shock:

The 8X42 Nikon Monarch ATB would be a wonderful field binox for a hunter, IMHO!! :D

L2S

15. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've got a set of the Pentax and can attest to their quality too. I picked them up for my wife to use as they are a quality glass that is light enough for her to use with out much strain. I have an old pair of 10x50 Redfields that weight a ton in comparison. They are rock steady but I am getting tired of that rock becoming a boulder by the end of the day. I stole her binocs when I went up to Alaska and they served admiralbly on a caribou hunt. Now I need a new set of glass for me, I got spoiled.