Bit of a Conundrum

Discussion in 'Bolt Action' started by mountainview, Jul 11, 2005.

1. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Well all, I find myself at a cross-roads and don't know which fork to take. Seems I came into a modest amount of shekels which somehow seems to be earmarked for the local firearm dealer. I know I "need" a new centerfire rifle/caliber (actually several needs come to think of it) but need some guidance on what to get this summer. I am mainly a deer hunter but hopefully other critters will be on the venue once the kids are out o' college.

I have several ideas but the folks here always seem to come up with some interesting opinions I never thought of so I'd like to solicit some ideas. My current collection which I hope to expand by one with a cap of $500 sans scope consists of:
    1) Savage 12 .223 (great shooter and super easy to reload for)
    2) Remy 700 25-06
    3) Savage 7-08
    4) Savage 110 30-06

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Seeings as how you seem to like the Savage line,check out midway usa. From them you can buy new barrels and the wrench for removing the lock nut on your current action. It'd be kinda like having an Encore. Just change barrels, recheck scope and off ya go!

I'm wanting to get my hands on a 35 Whelen(gotta check my pockets for a lot of loose change first). One of these would just about fill out your battery of rifles.Light(223) rifle up to the poor mans Magnum!

Just a thought or two.

HWD

PS: A nice O/U for them rascally clay pigeons might be something else to think about also!

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

What you are missing is a caliber for larger game. You have a general purpose varmint gun (.223), a heavy varmint/general purpose deer and antelope rifle (25/06), and two general purpose deer and large game rifles (7mm/08 and 30/06). What you are missing is a general large/dangerous game rifle. The .35 Whelan would be a good choice but it is on the light side of what I'm thinking of. Something in the .338 mag class or larger is more my thinking. A while back I was in much the same situation as you, I had a .223, 6mm Rem, 30/30, and a .300 Win mag that I could call my own. These served my well but when I "needed" another rifle (seriously, I really did), I picked up a .375 H&H mag. Now I'm set for any animal I'll likely to run into, even if I win the lottery.
    Other options are different action types. Since you list all bolts, a lever gun like a Marlin, Winchester, or Browning (if a bottle neck cartridge is desired) would be a nice addition for a change of pace. Or you could get a semi-auto. A Browning BAR would be at the top of list though it is pushing you price constraint. A Remington 740 (or whatever its designation now) is cheaper and still a reliable gun.
    A final idea would be a specialty rifle similar to one you already have. A nasty weather gun in stainless steel and synthetic or laminate may be an option. A truly lightweight gun would be another option. I envy you in a way; and in a way I don't. When you have several "wants" and can only partially satisfy them, it can be an agonizing decision.

4. gator

gator Guest

mountainview,
    As problems go, they don't get much better than yours!
    In the caliber category, I've been intrigued lately by the 6.5x55
    or even the newer 6.5/.284. However as uglydog has already pointed out, (and I'm sure you well know), you have that niche well covered. Maybe one of the WSM flavors are calling.
    Thoughts on rifles---2 keep coming to mine, T/C Encore and the CZ 550. Let us know what you decide.

5. mountainview

You blokes are right on the mark and make some good points. HWD's suggestion of the interchangeable barrels is neat but with my arthritis I find it to be a bit painful to use hand tools which require a decent bit of force :cry: so I am not sure I can manage that one. This may sound sacriligious, but I am thinking about holding off the purchase 'til September when some of the local stores will run some sales which would permit me to buy some decent optics at the same time unless I run across a decent used rifle (like the BAR) in the interim. The main danger I see in this is that new "needs" may crop up ... I'll keep ya all posted on how the saga proceeds.
    Regards.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Hey Mountain ,

Just send me your private stash of change and I SWEAR that I'll take REAL GOOD care of it! We can't have any of those special needs popping up prior to your purchase.

OH, can ya send it by tomorrow morning? There a gunshow in town this weekend and I'm quite certain that I could find something that'll suit me.....ummm,I meant to say you!

HWD

7. wired

wired Guest

Yep, very nice selection of hunting rifles there. If you're up to hunting something larger than deer, you may want to take that advice of a heavy hitter in the .35 range.

If you're wanting something a bit classy, you might get one of the nicer CZ rifles. They're good stuff, and they just have a certain class to them that can't be beat (IMO, anyway). The next cf rifle I get will probably be one, most likely in a lighter caliber, since my .308 handles pretty much everything else I shoot at.

8. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) I'll ditto Uglydog's post... for me it had to be a .375 H&H, and I love that rifle more each time I pull the trigger. As many others have already stated, it'll knock over anything in North America or South America, and most of the stuff in Asia and Africa. JMHO
    ///olde 8) pharte///

9. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Mtnview-

Whaddya get?

TxVa

10. mountainview

Gents- this may be a bit of a surprise. The used BAR I was eyeing up disappeared from the shelf so I went with a Winchester SX-2 scattergun (on-sale and came with 3 choke tubes) and aftermarket Ithaca cantilevered slug barrel (this part of the state is slugs only). Am rustling up the necessary shekels to mount a Nikon 2-7x up on top and should be able to cover most anything that scurries, flies, or runs in this neck of the woods. Not that I could not do that before but this is my first semi-auto. Also figures that after I bought it, a couple Mag bolt guns went on sale that would cover the 300/338 mag gap that you folks identified but that will have to wait a spell :( 'til the firearms acquisition department receives another infusion of capital to cover them other "needs" I keep finding.