bolt action 17 HMR

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by mike .308, Aug 2, 2005.

1. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Just saw a really nice bolt action rifle in 17 HMR. It was a Savage mode 93 with a stainless steel barrel and laminated stocks.

I was thinking about buying this but before I do is there any other 17 HMR's I should consider in the $300 price range.

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Mike,

I've been considring the Marlin. WallyWorld has them for less than $200 with the heavy barrel.

HWD

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I recommend the Marlin as the stinless laminate model is the one I ultimately chose. The Marlin is said to have a better factory trigger than the Savage and it did appear to be so between the ones I looked at. My rifle had an aftermarket Rifle Basixs trigger added to it which is also available for the Savage. This is a much nicer trigger than either factory one. Savage is rumored to have an Accu-Trigger in the works for their rimfires but no idea if/when it will come out. I also heard a couple reports of the spring steel piece that the clip slips on is easier to bend on the Savage. To me this piece seemed about equally flimsy on the two rifles. I guess it all comes down to which gun you like and is available. I think they both are decent guns for the price.