Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most comfortable hunting boot you have used?At times I'm in -0 temps so it has to be warm also.Mine are showing their a age and need to be replaced for next hunting season.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Drop, I don't think I can help with this one . My cold weather boots are Lacross Buckmasters I bought back in '95 and they still are in fair shape.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It all depends....

If I'm going to walk a lot and sit a little, I have a pair of leather Wolverines with a Gore-Tex liner and 200 grams of thinsulate.

If I'm going to park my butt on the stand for several hours and it's cold, I wear a pair of 1,000 gram thinsulate Rocky boots; not that great for walking, but they sure are warm.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the 2 boot idea wwb,I have a pair of Timberlands with 400 grams of thinsulate but when I sit on a stand I do get cold feet and that ruins a hunt for me.I'll look at some 1000 grams boots before next season.Thanks.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
426 Posts
I got the Cabela's leather warm-weather (kangaroo?) boot last year, MOST COMFORTABLE boot I have had in years, but it would iceover your toes if you were stationary in below 40 degree temperatures.
(the older I get, the more important my boots become.)
///olde :) pharte///

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: re: Boots

Drop-Shot said:
Has anyone tried the Cabela's name brand boot?Drop-Shot
DS,

I have the boar hide version guide series Cabelas put out. 400g of Thinsulate, IIRC. For walking on a cold day, they're great. A pheasant hunt in Nebraska 2 years back in 10 degree temps they were great, with a slik thin sock and a wool sock over.

OTOH, last week in Va, it was a balmy 15 degrees as I still hunted for deer, and my feet, for the 1st time in those boots, got cold. Same sock setup, no movement.

So...my vote, 2 boot sets! But those cabelas, look good after 2 years of hunting so far, just about every 3 months during use, I've saddle soaped them, and then added mink oil.

TxVa

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
:? Drop-Shot, I don't have a special boot to recommend, but I think what ever I bought, I would check with Cabela's. This is the reason why. In 1989 I bought a 150 dollar pair of boots to go on a sheep hunt. At that time, it was and still is a lot of $ for boots. I got them early and wore them all spring and summer. I wanted them broken in for the hunt. About 2 weeks before I left for the trip, the sole seperated. So I called Cabela's. They said you have 2 options. (I figured here it comes). I had to return the boots and I could 1. get a new pair free. 2.Or they would REFUND my money. I explained I was leaving on the hunt and older boots would replace the ones I bought, and I could use the $ right then. I got my money well before the trip. I have been a loyal customer since then. Others may do as well, but most places have a sign, if the boots are defective contact the maker. So I buy from the Cabela's store.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill I would bet a years wages I wouldn't look near as good as Melanie in those boots and with 2 BFR's I would wager you could't take them from her anyway,I'll keep looking buddy.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
105 Posts
:roll:

Geez. I've never owned a pair of "hunting" boots. But I've owned better than 20 pairs of sturdy boots over the years. Some great, some decent, others....just not worth a poop.

The best of all that I ever wore rather simple un-insulated Danners (Acadia) with a Gore-Tex lining. They're very warm and I've never gotten cold feet with them. Plus they've lasted about three years so far (I'm a bit harder on boots than your average bear).

Normally 2 years is topps for a pair of boots for me. They usually get re-soled at the 1 year point and the tops and everything else gives at about the 2 year mark.

I'm in the service too so my "hunting" boots are more often than not (always) boots that aren't good enough lookning to go with the uniform anymore.

I honestly don't know how some companies market some of their specialty boots. I've worn a pair of boots daily for the last 12 years and am usually pretty good at spotting a pair of foot killing murderers......Usually found on the shelves at high end sporting goods stores with WAAAaaaayyyyy too much on their price tags.

Oh well, my favorites have been Wolverine (or Bates), Bellevue, Altima, Corcoran, and last but certianly not least - Danner.

If you can't find a good brand name look for two things: Vibram sole and a Gore-Tex liner. "Cheap" companies do not use these materials. Unless you sit in a tree stand for 8 hours a day (sissies) your feet will NOT get cold with Gore-Tex. If they do you're not moving enough, get off your butt!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sir yes sir,got it.I too like Wolverine and Danner,the others I don't know about yet but will do some checking on them,I walk in below frezzing temps in snow at times and other times it 60 degrees,as I age my feet get less circulation and chill quicker than when younger.Thanks.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm a multi boot kind of guy. For walking, I have a pair of 8" Gore-Tex lined Danners. They are uninsulated because I overheat easily, especially in difficult terrain. When deer hunting when its not too cold, usually bow hunting, I wear an old pair of knee high rubber boots from LaCross. They have Thinsulate, 200 or 400 grams, I can't remember. I like the rubber boot because it doesn't hold scent like leather and fabric. The ankle fit makes them not want to pull of in the mud, but it makes them a real pain to get on and off. In cold weather stand hunting and ice fishing, I wear my trusty old LaCross Iceman felt pacs. They are no fun to walk in, but they are warm. There are more modern, lighter extreme cold boots on the market, but mine haven't let me down.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also wear lacross rubber boots but mine have a zipper down the side for easy on & off. I also have duct tape on them where a broadhead peirced them 3 years ago . I also carry a "icebreaker" brand boot blankets (like big mittens for your feet) on my climbing treestand .On cold days after Im all strapped in I put my feet in em w/ some "hot hands" too. works great!

·
Registered
257 Posts

Just personal opinion, but Melanie prefers leather when guarding the gun safes. Bill T.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.