Broken Ruger Stock

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Merton Leeper, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

I have a 338 Win Mag Mark II Ruger that developed a broken stock the last shot on a elk this year (I got the elk!). But I still have to replace the stock. Does Ruger sell them or who is reputable among the stock makers. It sounds like the best stock manufacturers are practically drop in. Can anyone help. Thanks, Semper Fi :p

2. slugmensch

slugmensch Guest

Was this the wood stock, or synthetic ? If synthetic, I am not surprised. I found out the hard way that the standard Ruger synthetic stock is NOT fibre- reinforced... and thus rather fragile. I had a 77 mark II in .243.... and the standard stock was garbage. Unfortunate, because I thought highly of the rest of the rifle. Once re-stocked, it was a very good rifle.
    As to replacement stocks, there are many brands available. Mcmillan (high-end synthetics, but probably the best), Bell and Carlson (also very good).... and many others. Most of the synthetic after-market stocks are MOSTLY drop-in...(some SMALL amount of fitting might be required, in some cases)....bedding the action might be important, again in SOME cases.... other times, not needed. It varies. If you wish to have a wood stock, then final fitting is usually required - and bedding the action almost always is needed for best results.
    There are many different sources for replacement stocks.... Cabela's and other such companies.... Mcmillan you get directly from the manufacturer. Do a search for aftermarket stocks - you will find a plethora of sources.

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

If the stock cracked because of recoil (very possible with a .338) I'll give you odds that Ruger will replace it free. Give them a call, or write a letter.

4. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

The stock was a wooden stock mounted with a tripod. Ruger won't replace the stock because it has already been cut & rounded to fit my shoulder and it is not considered stock. I think their are better stocks around anyway. My backup rifle is a new Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Mag in Stainless Steel, a synthetic stock, and a Burris Fullfield 3.5 X 10 X 50 mm with a Ballistic Plex installed.
    I understand that companies like Hoge offer aluminum drop ins with are exact to the specs. of various rifles. Anyway my search continues. Thanks for the info. :? Semper Fi

5. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

look around gunbroker, auctionarms, or gunsamerica I wouldnt think finding a long action ruger stock would b a problem on these sites. also if you cant find one contact ruger they sell replacement stocks although u may pay through the a$$ for it

Aaron

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I have a bell&carlson on my ruger 30/06,its so old that they don't even make their stocks that way anymore,one of their first ones made,but a good one.The sling is up in the fore end and the rear is up in the stock also,no sling swivels to rattle.They don't make them that way any more.Drop-Shot

7. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

:) After lots of research and advice from both friends and gunsmithing shops I ordered a Hogue OverMolded Stock. It is especially made for the Ruger 77 MKII Long Action with a Full Bed Block Stock. The bedding block is made of 7075 aircraft aluminum and keeps the barrel free floating. With it I ordered a Hogue factory sling. Check out their website: hogueinc.com or getgrip.com or just put Hogue Stocks in Google and it will come up. This stock is one of the best and cheapest on the market. Semper Fi :p

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Merton Leeper please let me know how you like it,I have heard mixed comments.I am having my older ruger77 rebarrelled by a local gunsmith that I didn't know about.He has been in the same place since 1965 and is using a douglas air guaged stainless barrell on my parkerized action and will do some thing that takes the shine off that stainless,it really looks good together but I have a problem.When the last gunsmith accurized my rifle he bedded the stock and he must have not used a good release agent cause he can't get that Bell&Carlson stock off.He wants to use a mcmillin but I can't afford the extra 500.00.He is using a #5 contour barrell and the rubberized stock of a hogue does not sand out very well for an over sized barrell.I can get a new Bell&Carlson for 160 + shipping but relieving the stock is going to be time comsuming.He is going to try 1 more trick,put the stock and barrelled action in a freezer over night and tapp the barrell the next day.If that don't work I will have to order a new stock.He don't guarrenty 1/2 inch groups but he said he gets them all the time.It all depends on ammo and the shooter.That #5 contour will add about 1 lb to my set up,thats ok.I wanted a muzzel heavy gun.I hope I can keep my stock,we have spent alot of time together.Drop-Shot

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey Merton Leeper I emailed Hogue,they have a piller bedding stock and a full length bedding block.There are 2 schools of thought,free float the barrell and full length bedding.Both are good for certain applications.I will be using a much heavier barrell and bigger so I want to free float the barrell.I had the same gun full length bedded before and it shot just ok for awhile and folks convinced me to try something other than 180 gr bullets.I started shooting 165 gr hornadys and the group shrunk.I could keep up with the others on this site.I may be replacing my Bell&Carlson stock I bought in the early 70's.I am waiting for a reply from Hogue to see if removing inlet material will be hard or damage the stock.Alot of material has to be removed to accomadate the #5 barrell and I want to make sure it can handle it.Drop-Shot

10. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

The stock is being shipped today via UPS. Once my gunsmith installs it, I will give you a full report on how hard the installation was and how well things fit. Hogue really bent over backwards to assure me that their product would be a great match for my Mark II. It is a heavy rifle but shoots 1/2 inch groups. And I shot my elk at 335 yards with a 338 Win Mag packing a Federal Premium 210 grain cartridge. One shot! Hogue does a lot of work for law enforcement, the military, and seem to be the cheapest around. You can either deal with them or price their product in Cabella's. Tell them you would like to deal directly with them but the Cabella's price is cheaper and see what they come up with. I always shop hard for price! Be talking to you! Semper Fi - Mert :D

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

The gunsmith was able to get my stock off with no problems so I will be using this old Bell&Carlson on this gun.I am thing however on putting a synthetic stock on my winchester model 70 338 win mag.The synthetic dampens the recoil or absorbs it or something.I shot a weatherby 300 mag on a wood stock and it hurt,I bought the same gun in a synthetic stock and I could tell the difference right away,so I may get one for my 338.Keep me posted.Drop-Shot

12. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

Got my stock in the mail today. Will let you know how the process unfolds. My gunsmith will install it tommorrow. Semper Fi :lol:

13. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

:D The end of my broken stock story is complete. The Hogue Synthetic stock with the aircraft aluminum bedding system took all of five minutes for my gunsmith to install. He didn't even charge me. I overheard him (the owner who did the work) tell his two other gunsmiths that this is the best drop in he had ever worked with. So, for all, if you want to check Hogue Synthetic stocks out then this is the site.

getgrip.com

or with Google, just Hogue Stocks

Semper Fi

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Let us know if accuracy is better and about recoil.Drop-Shot