Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot about Marlins and Winchester, but what are your opinions of accuracy and action of the BLR's compared to them? They look a little funny, but I like the cartridge options they provide. Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Not as accurate, you need to handload. I have three, 30-06,.270, and 358 . These guns have been compared to bolt actions with the bolt locking up with the barrel . Just got the 358 and the loading supplies are even newer. I bet you I can get bolt action groups with it.As far as lever guns go these are the strongest actions out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do they compare to Winchester or Marlin lever actions?

I have the feeling bolts will almost always be more accurate than a lever, but how about apples to apples comparison with the other lever actions? Thanks so far!
:roll:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I don't think there is much difference as a whole beween the BLR and other similarly chambered levers such as the Winchester 88 and Savage 99. I think it is more accurate than the "typical" lever actions like the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336 but not enough to matter for the range and use these are meant for. I recently picked up a BLR in 358 Win and have grown to like it. It will be my new black bear gun and general plinker with 158 gr pistol bullets.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I got one in 7mm-08 the first year they came out in that caliber and thought very well of the rifle. I didn't like the general feel of the gun, however, and traded it off. I carry my rifle for long distances in my right hand, and the BLR was top heavy and didn't fit the hand well, IMO.

Otherwise, I could find no fault in the gun. :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
OK apples to apples. the BLR has by far the best lever stroke. It is smooth and faster than the Marchesters. You can get them in more potent calibers,and with the box mag you don't have to use blunt nose bullets.I don't have Luvs problem with my BLR's, they fit me well .

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I actually sold 1 pistol and traded a rifle to get my 1st BLR in 243 (new)and sold 4 winchester 94's to get the 358 BLR(used slightly).I must have gotten the bottom of the barrel when I got my 94's as I and others could not group better than 4 inches at 100 yards with the 30/30's and alot worse with the 44 mag,I have had 94's in the past that was alot more accurate and wish I had kept them and never got the last group on 94's.Both my 243 and 358 is more accurate than some of the bolt guns I got rid of,the 243 shoots 1 inch groups and the 358 shoots just a hair over 1 inch,the small & short barrel I feel is the culprit for groups opening up after 2 shots,the 3rd on the 243 is a little higher and continues to string upwards with each shot if I don't let the barrel cool off.Its not all that bad as I can shoot 1 1/2 inch 5 shot groups with the 243 and slightly bigger with my 358.I have found an article that said to sand off the shinny spots in the fore arm to stop stringing in the BLR and the writer shoots 1/2 inch groups with his 22/250,I have work to do on both BLR's to get all the shinny spots out on both rifles.I love mine and will never trade or sell those guns,for me the balance is just right,as for accuracy I can say I have shot prarie dogs at 200 yards with the 243 which was better than the guys around me were doing with 1000.00 rifles,243 topped with a Leupold 3-9x42 vari-x ll and the 358 wears a Leupold 1.75-6x32 vari-x lll,I love em.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've never shot one, but I'd think they'd make one heck of a big game rifle (I'm only talking about the short action model-308, 7-08, WSM's). Lever action, short, pretty light, and the calibers it shoots are way more potent that the 30-30 and other traditional mid-bore lever actions. Browning's quality is always top notch. The only thing I don't like about them is the high gloss finish. It shines too much, and if you scratch it up there is no way to easily touch up the stock. I'm not 100% sure Ilike the new model BLR-81 with the pistol grip and schnabel forend... like the pistol grip, but the schnabel end kind of looks out of place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a BLR 81 lightweight in 30-06 and it groups better at 100 yards than my Remmington BDL in 30-06 which has a new barrel. I just wish I had purchased the standard BLR in 30-06 because I feel that lightweights demand more control than a standard rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.