Bubba-izing a K-98--Barrel question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Restoration' started by jkvirginia, Feb 24, 2005.

1. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

Let me preface this with the following: Yes, I know by the time I do all this I could have bought a brand-new rifle and saved money. That's really not the point :wink:

I'm planning to, over time, make a thoroughly custom 98 mauser-based sporter, with a wood or laminate monte-carlo stock, sporter-contour replacement barrel, scope mount, glass-bedded action, replacement trigger (either Timney or Huber) etc.

Now, the question is, what cartridges can the 98 be safely rebarreled to? I know magnum loads will require a new bolt face, but I don't really need magnums for any of my hunting anyway.

Second, is there such an animal as a "drop in" replacement barrel, or is this a job that pretty much demands a trip to the smith? If the latter, how much should I plan to shell out?

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

JK,

Most barrels are in the white(unblued steel) with short chambers. It'll need to go to a smith to have the chamber finished,unless you have access to a machine shop and chamber reamers. I think the bolt face should be okay if you stick to standard calibers that have a case head like the 30-06.
    Try checking with Midway on the barrel and trigger. They've generally got pretty good prices and inventory.

HWD

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Jkvirginia you can do this if you want to go through the trouble.The barrell as mentioned will be in the white so it will need to be blued,and most importantly have a gunsmith thread the barrell and fit it to the reciever.You can buy threaded barrells but the ones I saw threaded on too easily and even though it was tight to the reciever,I wondered if would work out ok.As the guy was screwing the barrell on the reciever it had play up and down and side to side.It did tighten up to reciever but a tighter fit would ensure no movement ever.As far as short chambering goes you can buy pull through reamers,alot of time is spent with a headspace guage,get it on the money and use a finish reamer for the last few thousandsth,polish the throat.All that sounds easy but only a gunsmith with a lathe can make it easy.Look up A.G.I for there videos or dvd's and get the rebarrelling tapes,and they even have a video just on the 98 mauser action.Drop-Shot

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I forgot to mention that a good crown is important,You can buy the facing tools from midway or brownells.Drop-Shot

5. Clemson

Clemson Guest

jkvirginia: Did you get your original question answered?

For a K98 action, these rounds require virtually zero action modifications: 6mm Remingon, .257 Roberts, 6.5 x 55, 6.5 x 57, 7 x 57, .300 Savage, 8 x 57, 9.3 x 57.

These rounds may require lengthening the magazine box by 0.1 inches or so. Actually, the 98 will normally handle most commercial ammunition without alteration, but loading long bullets may be restricted without the magazine modification (minor): .25-06, 6.5-06, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, .30-06, .338-06, .35 Whelan

These rounds may require extensive magazine, follower, and feed rail work to feed reliably. The bolt face is OK, but I generally steer people to the rounds above unless there is no other way to satisfy them: .22-250, .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08, .308 Winchester, .358 Winchester

These rounds require opening the bolt face (on a lathe) and lengthening the magazine: .264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .458 Win Mag.

It is possible to squeeze rounds as long as the .375 H&H Mag and as short as the .222 Remington into the Model 98, but it is certainly not very practical or, in some cases, safe to do so.

Fitting and chambering a barrel is within the scope of a home gunsmith to do, but you need to be gathering facts and information for a while before you undertake it. I have NEVER had a problem with a pre-threaded Mauser barrel, but I have always used a lathe to fit the shank length to my action. I also like short-chambered barrels, but I finish the chamber reaming by hand -- not on the lathe.

Good luck!

Clemson