Budget Deer Rifle for White Tails

Discussion in 'Bolt Action' started by hogana, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hogana

hogana Guest

I got some really good advice at Shotgun world forum and purchased a 20 ga ultra slug gun and a bushnell scope. Good advice. Good gun choice.

Wisconsin has some shotgun only counties and some where a rifle is allowed. I now have access to some rifle country.

I have looked at the Savage 111 package gun w/ a scope. The ones w/o accutrigger are priced as low as $320. I think they are left over inventory of nonaccutrigger guns.

The gun will be used strictly for deer hunting. I would prefer a composite stock. I might also consider a stainless action and barrel if that does not hamper the stealth aspects of deer hunting??? I am also fond of a bolt action. I have a remington bolt action 22 that I really like. I will not purchase a semi auto, but I will consider other actions.

Most of my hunting will be from a stand. Most of my shots will be less than 100 yards.

Any advice on a gun choice or caliber for deer? I have been eyeing the .270. I have several coworkers who are .270 owners and they rave about the caliber.

It will be a woods gun and it will get dinged. That is just the nature of bringing a gun into the woods and hauling it up into a tree stand.

I did not grow up hunting deer. I have only hunted for about the last 4 or 5 years so I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

why not just use your slug gun?

3. hogana

hogana Guest

I will probably use the slug gun until I can save up the cash for a rifle. By that time I will know if a rifle is a necessity for hunting that ground. There is a big difference in the cost for rounds between the guns. $12 gets you 5 good slugs or 20 rifle rounds.

The H&R performs wells out to at least 100 yds and slugs are deadly if you hit the vitals.

That being said I am still interested in rifle opinions.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I've heard good things about the Mossberg rifle that is being carried by most Walmarts. There is another package gun out by Savage also. They're marketing it under the Stevens name. Check em out. Prices on either will be around $300. As for the 270,go ahead. It's a fine caliber and should serve ya well.

HWD

5. Matt67C10

Matt67C10 Guest

I've got a Savage 111 package, it came with a scope and a case. Mine is the .308 Win in synthetic with the blued barrel. It was a great deal in my eyes. The Simmons 3-9x40 8-Point scope is not the greatest, but it gets the job done. I get 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
    I've heard great things about the .270 for whitetail hunting, it's a great caliber.
    For an inexpensive "tool" rifle that has awesome accuracy and an adjustable trigger, I'd highly recommend the Savage.

6. hogana

hogana Guest

Tool was on the tip of my tounge.

When I lived in Alaska all guns were tools, and the eskimos I was with were remarkable marksmen. Do not try to invade AK.

I will take a carefull look at the Savage in .270 and .30-06. I will hunt around for something used or a gun won at a raffle that the owner is not fond of.

Can a person do w/o the acutrigger? Or is that worth $100 more?

7. Matt67C10

Matt67C10 Guest

You can do without the accutrigger, I'm not sure it's worth $100 more. I've only adjusted it once, and just lightened it up a bit from the factory. All the Savage Accutriggers are a 2-piece trigger, with a small sear realease that protrudes out beyond the trigger. It really doesn't get in the way, no big deal, but people ask me about it because it looks a bit odd.
    The synthetic stock is nice to have, durable and easy to keep clean. There were a fair amount of mold release marks on mine, kind of like on a plastic model kit. A scrape from a sharp Xacto knife and a bit of sandpaper and they're gone.
    The term "tool" is appropriate for this rifle. It is an excellent tool and gets the job done every time, it's just not beautiful. I would highly recommend it for the money. I'd have to agree with Savage's statement about being extremely accurate (akrit here in PA) right out of the box.

8. Jamas

Jamas Guest

I use a 30/06, however, here in Missouri I think like 80% of the guys I see out there are using the 270. They say that this round was put here on this earth by the hand of God himself. Personally I love my 06 and will probably stick with it for a long time.

-Jamas

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

:idea: A 30-06 150gr bullet shoots as flat as a 150gr 270 for the most part. Why not get a 30-06 that can do much more than a 270? :idea: For sheer accuracy out of a box, the Savage is a real winner! :D

That being said, I made up a 270 on a Springfield 03 action and a cast off 270 barrel and stock years ago. It is still one of my favorite rifles; I have taken some nice antelope with it.

Welcome, by the way, and post often to our newer members. Nice to see you here. :D :wink:

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Jamas Welcome to shooting world.The debate over 270 VS 30/06 will continue long after we are gone,like L2S I own both,a couple of 30/06's and 1 270 and like both.If you are only hunting deer the 270 shines as well as 30/06,if you hunt anything bigger the 30/06 offers more bullet sizes all the way up to 220gr factory loadings,both are some of the best calibers around and you can't go wrong with either.I really like the Savage rifles and own one in 7mm mag,great value.Drop-Shot

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I don't remember if I welcomed Hogana and Matt,If not I'm doing so now.Theis is a very well seasoned site,we have folks from all walks of life and all levels of hunting and shooting experience as you can see from the posts.Don't be shy.Drop-Shot

12. Jamas

Jamas Guest

Thanks DropShot. I probably have a few nickels worth floating around my little brain. I will divy em up when I can. Yes the debate will last as long as the rounds are around(hmmm...rounds...around.....oh well). The 30.06 is just my favorite all around round(there it is again) but that doesn't make it better than any other chambering. In fact it could be argued that it is second best in most situations.

In regards to the topic:
    Savage is a great company. You get great functionality at a great price. Barring a great deal on a nicer gun,which is what happened with my new model 70, I plan on buying a Savage in .223.

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Well if you already have a 30/06 then you need a 270,for antelope I will be useing a 130 gr hornady interlock if I get to hunt.To tell you the truth I reach for my 30/06 more than any other rifle and have taken 15 elk and way too many deer,both whitetail and muleys to count and never felt under gunned.Now with the new barrel it shoots so tight a group that you wouldn't believe it.The 388 yard elk I posted about in another thread dropped almost in his tracks with a 180 gr partition out of this Ruger tang saftey rifle.But whats the fun in only having 1 caliber,too many empty slots in the rifle safe makes me sad,so I have others but the 30/06 sure is a nice caliber.Drop-Shot

14. wired

wired Guest

The .270 is an excellent caliber, though I'm also one of the .30-06 advocates. Is the .270 good for 100 yard shots at whitetail? It's plenty good, though it's kinda like using a katana to open your mail. Most folks that are stand hunting for whitetails at 100 yards around here use either a lever-action .30-30 or .44 mag (then you've always got the guys doing it with a .300 WinMag). Is the .270 ideal for that application? Not really. Will it do the job? Hell yeah. If you end up with a shot at 200-250 yards, you'll have a bit of an advantage, too. I wouldn't recommend shooting at deer farther away than that from a field position, though a lot of people do. That depends on your shooting ability with that rifle, though.

Good choice on Savage, whether you go .30-06 or .270. A lot of bang for the buck (no pun intended on all those different levels). I'd probably opt for the -06, but it's up to you. I would normally say to just use your slug gun at that range, but then you wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new rifle.

15. cheesehunter

cheesehunter Guest

I have several deer rifles: A Win Model 70 in .30-06, an SKS, and a Remington Model 7600 in .30-06, all three of which would work fine for you. But on opening morning of the Wisconsin deer hunting season, I usually grab the pump. Topped with a Leopold 3X9 scope, it is lightweight, fast, and plenty accurate for deer.
    Many hunters own pump shotguns, and for them the operation of a pump rifle is almost automatic. Inherently, the 870 shotgun based strong-as-heck action is more dependable than say, a semi-auto, and definitely faster to operate than a bolt. It comes with a removable 4-rnd magazine - another plus. That gives you 5 rounds, as fast as you can pump it.
    Free floating the barrel? Done at the factory.
    I purchase mine about 15 years ago, and was surprised to see they retail for just over $500 (with walnut stock). That seems like a lot of money compared to some of the other deer rifles discussed here, bit to me, the overall performance and excellent quality of finish is worth it.

16. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I can only say that you are going to see even greater things from Savage. Either one of these calibers will work for you. I have both and love them both.You might want the 06 if you are going to be a 1 rifle man. It is the most versitile caliber .And welcome to all newcommers

17. vashooter

vashooter Well-Known Member

What about the Remington 710 in either 270 or 30-06? Tough stock, nice action, and comes with a 3-9x40 scope for less than $400.
    You could also pick up a used rifle of a higher model like a Remy 700, Ruger 77, etc. for about the same.
    Or a Marlin 336 in 30-30 for $300 or less - that's a CLASSIC budget deer rifle, and with the new Leverevolution ammo, it is a 300 yard deer rifle with a scope on it.

18. hogana

hogana Guest

I bought a remington 700 laminated stock blued barrel in 270 and put a Nikon scope on it. The gun was on clearance. Once I learned to shoot it I really liked it. It is more accurate than its owner. My uncle who lives in New Mexico told me Remington 270 and when I found one on clearance I bought it. It is a very nice gun for $350.

My only regret is that I would have liked a clip for easy unloading to get in and out of my stand or to unload to walk on the road.

This gun will be in my estate.

19. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

hogana I think you made a good deal and I have lost alot of magazines after pulling them out of my rifle and put in a pocket for the walk out so I'm not crazy about detatchable magazines on a hunting rifle.I owned a used 700 ADL in 270 for a weekend and traded it on another rifle on monday,the guy I sold it to said it shot under 1 inch for a 5 shot group so I expect yours will shoot well also.Let us know what groups are you getting.Drop-Shot

20. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member