Bullets and Barrel Life

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by The_Cook, Sep 17, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Generally how many bullets can you throw through a barrel before it no longer shoots well?

What can I do with my handloads that will promote a longer lasting barrel? What kind of bullets should I avoid? Straight lead, FMJ, copper coated, moly, etc...

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Probably the particular cartridge has more to do with this than the number of rounds. I know the .220 Swift had a reputation for being a barrel burner, way-y-y-y over bore capacity case + shooting bullets at extreme velocity = burned out rifling much sooner than a "standard" cartridge. Not letting the barrel cool during lengthy shot strings also contributes to this. I can't give you a specific magic number of rounds, likely the deterioration is gradual and your gun's accuracy will deteriorate gradually, not just go from 1" to 12" groups between round #4999 and #5000. How's that for a non-answer?

3. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Unless you become a competitive shooter, that Rem 30-06
    will last a life time. Provided of course you take care of it.
    :wink:

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Mule has got it right. The average gun owner ,even if they shoot all the time, will not shoot a barrel out.I have seen guns that have been past down that are still kicking.

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Amen,the only thing I would add is to limit the lead bullets,I had to have a remington 700 in 308 rebarreled due to lead buildup.Even the gunsmith could not get it out,The hotrods get less barrel life but I agree with everyone else that that 30/06 will shoot as well in 10 years as now if properly maintained,make sure you get the copper out as it can build up without looking all that bad.I use Butch's Bore Shine and if I get even a little bluest green color I scrub and clean till its spotless.To make sure I use(sparingly)sweets just to make sure no copper color is on my patch,(never leave sweets in your barrel)clean and oil the bore.Good luck.Drop-Shot

6. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Drop shot, when you say "sweets" you don't mean the candy :lol: type. What is a "sweet"?

7. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

7.62 Sweets is a brand of bore cleaner specificly for copper fouling removal. Good Stuff!

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Mule knows what works,the stuff is great,don't leave it in a barrel and use in well ventilated areas(stinks to high heavens).I was once going to have a 30/06 rebarreled by a local gunsmith,he looked at the barrel and suggested sweets and sold me a bottle.I had never heard of it so I gave it a try,I had so much copper fouling in the throat of my rifle that it could not stabilize the projectile.Alot of scrubbing with a bronze brush and 1/4 bottle of sweets and I had no blue green streaks on my swabs.I oiled the bore and went shooting,the accuracy was restored and I didn't rebarrel that rifle,still shoots good,I gave it to a family member and occasionaly clean it with sweets to keep it copper free.Drop-Shot

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,
    It's not likely that you or I will ever SHOOT OUT a barrel. The only guys that I've ever heard that did this were bench rest shooters. To them,if they're barrel will no longer shoot one hole,then they consider it shot out.It's usually just the throat that has worn. Most will have the barrel cut off in front of the chamber and have it rechambered. If you ever get the chance to buy one of these barrels,BUY IT QUICK!(of cousre it needs to fit a receiver that you own). The accuracy for us regular shooter will be GREAT.

As stated plenty of times above,Most "shotout barrels" owned by a "regular" shooter is only in need of a very good cleaning.

HWD

10. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Purchase Sweets brand cleaner CHECK
    Purchase used benchrest barrels CHECK

I'll definetly keep my eye out for both.

Here's a question about Sweets. Does it only work on copper? Can I use it as my all around cleaner?

11. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

7.62 Sweets is not an all purpose cleaner.

First clean out the carbon fouling. I use a home made product called Ed's Red. Then attack the copper fouling with Sweets, Butch's Bore Shine, CR10 or similiar product.

I have been disappointed with the all purpose products I have tried.

12. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Be careful when cleaning with some of these cleaners. You have to make sure that ALL traces of the previous cleaner is gone before statring with another. You can get some interesting reactions from mixing some of these things.

READ THE LABELS!!!!

HWD

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

HWD I had to get one of those visor magnifiers to do work with small things(trying to learn how to make a folding knife)and NOW I read the fine print cause I can now see it,thats super advice.I got sick as a dog awhile back trying to clean a neighbors rifle.Never cleaned it in 6 or 7 years.Automatic transmission fluid has a high acidity level and won't harm a barrel so I used it and sweets and Mpro-7 and a suds like cleaner, a couple more I can't remember,not at 1 time but the residue could have mixed,I got sick for days.I do my cleaning in the garage now where I can open a window and turn on a fan.My reloading room is just for that now,reloading.Super advice.Drop-Shot

14. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Ds,

That's some interesting stuff that you was using. A guy that shoots BlackPowder Silo. matches, at our range, once explained his solution for cleaning his BP rifle. Would ya believe....ANtifreeze? He said that he plugged the end of his barrel and poured in the antifreeze. I knew that it's a caustic fluid due to working in the auto industry,but I'd never thought of this use. He reuses it by catching it in a bucket and refill his jug. After a couple of uses he discards it a local auto parts store that recycles and buys another jug.

Different,but effective!

HWD

15. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

HWD,

I do something similar with my BP rifles that shoot sabots. I fill the barrel with carb cleaner and let it stand for an hour of so. It is amazing what pours out.

I don't attempt to recycle it. It goes in my burning barrel.
    Country living has its advantages.