caliber questions

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by fasterthanbrian, Jun 3, 2005.

1. fasterthanbrian

fasterthanbrian Guest

Does anyone have some good links to learn about the differences in caliber sizes, uses, etc? Im new to this and there are a ton, 30-06 springfeild, .308, .300 mag, you know.

2. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Even if you never plan to reload, the data in a good reloading manual is really informative. :shock: just my $0.02.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

3. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

And two very good magazines to subscibe to...Rifle and Handloader both from Wolfe Publishing

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

FTB, if you are just looking to learn the ropes and terminology, just start hitting the library as most have a number of good introductory books for beginners to pick up the lingo and understand much of what you are likely looking to learn. A lot of good info here and online is also yours for the looking.

5. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

without starting a whole new thread..i have a question thats along the same lines....i am not a newbie..but not a seasoned vet either....i can hold my own..but i am curious about what the extra numbers MEAN... like .30-06 or .30-30 or 7mm-08 and what the difference between a regular .30 and a .30-06 or .30-30 is

maybe a dumb question but it's had me wondering for a while

6. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: caliber questions

The .30-'06 Springfield is a .30 caliber cartridge, adopted by the US Army in 1906 - that's where the '06 comes from.

The .30-30, an early smokeless cartridge, is named the way they used to name black powder calibers.... it's a .30 caliber, and was originally loaded with 30 grains of smokeless powder.

The 7mm-08 is a .308 necked down to 7mm (.284 cal) - originally a wildcat, now a factory round.

7. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

thats confusing! :shock:

so the differewnce between a .30-06 and a .30-30 is the year?

8. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: caliber questions

NO! The difference is a whole lot more than that - an '06 has just about twice the powder a .30-30 has, and is WAY more powerful.

They are named what they are named.... you invent your own wildcat cartridge, and you can call it whatever you want. Later, if it is adopted as a factory round, it will usually carry the same name.

The name always means something - but it's frequently pretty obscure. Like the PPC or the JDJ cartridges...named for the initials of the developers... or something like the 7mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner). The old standby .375 H&H was developed by the British gun manufacturers Holland & Holland... see if you can guess what H&H stands for. The .600 Nitro Express was so named because it used smokeless powder (Nitro) and used a somewhat lighter bullet to attain a higher velocity (Express).

Most of the European metric calibers are very straightforward.... caliber and case length... the 6.5x55, as an example.

You need a reloading data book or a ballistics chart in order to determine what the cartridge's characteristics are. A lot of reading is the only way to learn about the vast number of cartridges out there.

Looking through that sort of data, you would find that the .308, for instance, is slightly less powerful than a .30-'06, but still far more powerful than a .30-30, and that a 7.62x39 (AK-47) is a bit less powerful than a .30-30.

9. wired

wired Guest

About the best source I have seen on different calibers is the Reload Bench website. They have a cartridge database for both pistol and rifle cartridges. Granted, there are quite a few that are left out, but they hit most of the high points. I got a lot of my information from them when I was starting out. On a lot of the cartridges, they even have historical notes on them which is quite interesting.

I tried reading books on hunting to find the info on cartridges, but I don't really recommend this (unless you know a bit more about them and read a LOT of the books... then sort through it). There will be a different opinion on which caliber to use for XXX coming from every different author.

Also, this forum is a good place to learn about the stuff, though you'll get into a lot of the opinion stuff. At least with the different opinions struggling for dominance, you'll hear why a lot of people choose what they did, and you'll get a better idea what to use for XXX.

10. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

whats the address to the reload bench website??

thanks for all the info guys!

11. wired

wired Guest

Just put it in your search engine of choice. Should be one of the first links, if not THE first. Then, find your way to the database.

12. mak48

mak48 Guest

chuckhawks.com is a good one too.