Camo...what type?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by luv2safari, Sep 25, 2005.

1. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

:?: Where do you live, and what camo works best for various types of hunting?...deer, turkey, ducks, politicians...oops... :wink:

2. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Muahaha Camo!!! I live in the San Fernando Valley, that is around 30miles away from downtown Los angeles. When I'm hunting in the urban setting I usually use what's around. I have a Blue recycling bin that I cut the bottom out of and use that as a hunting blind. Works real well. If I need to be mobile I will usually use my bum outfit. Layers of old simulated dirty cloths with a few well placed smears of snickers bar on your face and the locals don't even see you. :D

Seriously I go out to the Palmdale desert to do Jackrabbit hunting so that's High Desert scrubland. Currently I have no camo, but I'm stitching together my own gilli suit made of a sturdy antique white martha stuart bedsheet, with light desert cammo netting sown over it. The suit attaches using sown in strechy bands at the arms legs and head. All I have to do now is go find a place that sells burlap, and some other odds and ends light tan fabric that I can rip up and attach. Total cost $25 Hours spent so far 3hrs.

Hey luvsafari, I'm not to sure from what I read but do you need camo for deer hunting? None of the books and articles I read online actually really talk about it

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Talk about a post that I was really interested in with nobody biting, sorta like my hunters of Los Angeles post :cry:

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Cook

Most States require some hunter orange for rifle deer hunting, and some for any type of hunting. Nevada only requires that hunters don't run around naked. :shock:

I use camo at times...mostly when antelope guiding/hunting. I think it is an asset when stand hunting and still hunting. Our country is often so open that it helps a bit to be less conspicuous. I ALWAYS use a gilley suit when hunting gillies :!: :wink: :wink:

5. wired

wired Guest

The only time I've worn camo while hunting has been for coyotes. Didn't even get all that fancy, just wore lots of green and brown, and found myself some nice cover. When I start bowhunting, I'll probably invest in some camo. For everything else, I wear as much blaze as I own.

6. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I have about every camo pattern available as I seem to be a camo collector. I really like the marsh grass/Fall Flight/ Shadow Grass patterns for waterfowl hunting in wheat or corn fields and in cattails or reeds. These areas are generally fairly light colored and this pattern blends in well. I use Mossy Oak Break Up/Advantage Timber/ or plain old brown camo when hunting timber for turkey, ducks, or deer. For deer I add a blaze vest and a blaze camo hat per law. I have an early form of Rock-o-Flage in tan that I'll use for pronghorn and deer out west but also wear a bit of blaze on my back and chest for safety. A buddy uses surplus military BDUs in Desert Tan which I like too. I also have totally white coveralls for predator hunting and white rain gear for snow geese. For the latter I'll wear some sort of camo pants and vest as I feel a whole body white suit is too noticeable in the decoy spread.
    My favorite politician camo doubles as a decoy also. A green outfit with a Ben Franklin mask brings them in so well it should be illegal. If they get a little decoy shy, a switch to a barrel with the word "pork" on it helps. Unattended ballots and ballot boxes are illegal to use here within a month of any election but they are legal in some areas of Montana, Utah, Idaho, and Michigan from what I hear.

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

A little bit of "poisoned bait" on Senate, House, and White House interns works great. :wink: :twisted:

I like the "pork" bait and will have to try it...thanks for the heads up... :lol: :lol: