Camoing a rifle

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Restoration' started by reflexbowhunter65, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Any ideas on how to camo a rifle. I have a Win modle 70 blued and has a syntitic stock. How well does painting work or a gun sock that just goes over the gun itself. Thanks for any help. 8)

2. well i tried to camo an old rifle i had. i used some flat paints it came oout ok. i really didnt try to hard to make it look good mostly wanted to see how it would work. didnt come out to bad. i think it would come out nice if i take my time. just not sure how long it would last and that is the part that concerns me. for now i have a camo sock it does the job but i am not totaly happy with it bt will do for now

3. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

we cant see it. host them at photobucket.com

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

The only problem is that you can't just use any old paint because it will come off easily. Brownells has the correct paints for this kind of project

5. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:idea: What a coincidence! My son used Brownell paint on his rifle just yesterday... came out looking ok... we'll have to see after it cures.
    ///olde pharte///

6. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) He added a second coat and the results are very nice. A nice flat black barrel with the Choate green stock overlayed with some black splotches. No shooting yet... re-roofing the garage.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

7. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:!: YES :!: Got the lad and the painted .300 Winmag to the range Saturday. The rifle gave 1 :) MOA groups with a 180 grain and a 200 grain bullet. And the paint didn't come off the barrel. Hate to admit it, but the rifle does look pretty sharp...in a nonconventional, Hollywood fashion. Those thirty-something youngsters think it's "way cool, Dude!"
    ///olde 8) pharte///

8. vashooter

vashooter Well-Known Member

Geesh.... why would you do that to a perfectly fine looking Marlin Model 60?? The original shots look like it had fine wood on it and good blueing. I really don't see the need for camo rifles... I've never had any game animal spooked by my rifle. I hunt squirrels with a Marlin 60 that has a shiny stainless barrel on it and a silver scope and it hasn't caused any problems.

9. 583

583 Guest

i agree with you vashooter, i think camoeing is a complete waste of time, UNLESS it is a synthetic stock while it does little to hide your rifle it does look bette than that black plastic look.

10. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Why in the world camo a rifle? If you want to hide the thing wrap it in some burlap. Maybe wrap some string around it to hold the burlap on. Then you can fix it so that you can still see throught the sights, and work the action.

When I was a grunt a decade or more ago, we used to wrap our M-16's with some fabric to camo the piece. Works fine.