Case forming

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 8pointduck, Nov 12, 2005.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

How hard would it be to form .358 Win. brass from.308 Win cases. The reason I ask is I can't find any 358 brass on the internet or anywhere else . I can't even find any cartridges(you know , ones already loaded :) ). It seems to me it shouldnt be a problem, but I know that Drop or Lever could give me the details on this one. The one thing about it is I can find the dies but not the brass. The sights the carry the brass are all out of stock.

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I don't think necking up is hard, my only experience doing so with bottlenecked cartridges was when we shot the 30-338 Weatherby back when it was a wildcat. Since the .358 is merely a necked up 308 it should be a simple and easy operation. I believe I saw that Hornady's New Dimension dies will neck up the .308s under normal operation. These are what I'm curently looking at.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point I got my 358 brass from midway or grafs,I'll check for ya bud.Drop-Shot

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point,at grafs.com item #winu358 19.59 for 50,price includes shipping I think.I buy alot from grafs and would recommend them to anyone.They would also have the case forming dies if you want to go that route.Your local sporting goods store can order them also for about 27.00.Drop-Shot

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Thanks Shot. I knew you would know where to look. Udog ,the hornady dies are very good ones. These are the dies my son uses and they perform great

6. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I'll second Graf's, I shoot with Dick on occasion and he is a great guy. He brought some powder I was buying with him to a shoot which saved me both shipping and hazmat charges. I heartily recommend them.

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Grafs web sight looks real good and easy to navigate.BUT ,they are out of stock on the 358 brass :( .

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I'll start looking at other sites.Drop-Shot

9. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I found some on Henderons sight. They seem to be the only ones that have any.

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point the website Maser posted has the 358 brass,you will have to contact them to see if they are instock.I will keep checking.Drop-Shot

11. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I was in the Sportsman's Warehouse in Minneapolis (actually Coon Rapids) and St. Cloud, MN and they both had unfired .358 brass in stock. Price was $18/50 with both stores having 3-4 bags each. I plan on forming my own from .308s which ran $10.50 a bag and once fired is about that per 50. I reload on aprogressive press so I like to run off at least a couple hundred rounds at a time to make it worth my while. If I used a single stage and did up to 100 at a time, then buying preformed brass would not be much of an additional cost.

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point cliffsgunsmithing.com has 358 win brass for 17.65 for 2 lbs,I'm not sure how many that is but they say they have them instock.I type in 358 win rifle brass in Yahoo general search and I got alot of sites,the above mentioned site sounds good,uglydogs place sounds good too,when I can I may order me some too,all I bought was 50 and that has been good so far but I would like to experiment.Drop-Shot