"chain firing" in black powder revolvers?

Discussion in 'Black Powder' started by Maser, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Maser

Maser Super Member

ok i know what the term means but how on earth does it happen n when it does happen does it blow up the whole cylinder but the reason i was wondering was cuz i had 1 of those replicas that u can get out of a cabalas catalog over a year ago n i was so scared of it chain firing that i would only load up 1 ball at a time instead of all 6 chambers

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

When a blackpowder gun fires, hot and sometimes still burning powder particles exit the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Those particles can then land in the neighboring chambers and ignites the powder residue on the sides which then can travel to the main charge setting it off. What the happens is anybody's guess. I've seen from one to five chambers opened up to the front part of the frame and barrel get torn off. Injuries ranged from minor to severe. The best means of prevention is to use a felt spacer between the paoder and the ball (expensive and a bother) or to fill completely the remainder of the cylinder with grease (Crisco shortening works well for me and it is cheap) after the chamber is charged. I also only load 5 chambers and keep the hammer down on the empty one if I am going to carry it for any reason. This is the only safety these guns came with, a loaded cylinder under the hammer is an accident over due to happen.

3. Maser

Maser Super Member

well if i ever get a cap n ball revolver again il jus stick wit loadin n shootin 1 ball at a time cuz its bad enough i gotta worry bout the cleanup of the black powder residue so the last thing i need is to worry bout blowing my hand off

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Maser,

I owned one for quite a few years til someone offered a LOT more than I could turn down. I never fired it without greasing the other cylinders. It's kinda like knowing to point your gun in a safe direction,YA JUST DO IT!

In time you pick up a firearm,you should be aware of and practicing ALL safety precautions. Always be sure to either read any instructions included with the firearm or seek help from someone who is up ot date on that particular firearm.

HWD