Choices choices... varmint rifles

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by KaBar, Jan 8, 2005.

1. KaBar

KaBar Guest

I was going through all the rifles/shotguns/pistols in the gun safe (Theres actually not THAT many :wink: ) and noticed that there weren't any medium bore rifles. Plenty of old 30-06s, mostly from the early 1900s and maybe before and an old Swedish Mauser 1898 in 6.5x55.

I want to get something for coyote hunting and target/plinking. The three calibers I was thinking of were the .223, .204 ruger, or the 22-250. Right now my thoughts are with the .223 for cost and that they are avalible everywhere.

As for the actual rifles I'm thinking about the Savage 12fv or the Remington 700 SPS. I've heard good things about both rifles and they are about the same price so I'm not sure which. I'm also open to any suggestions on other brands/models.

Thanks for any help/suggestions that you can give me. I appreciate it.

2. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

whatever you get, id go with the .223 also

3. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Sorry about the double post, don't know what happened.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I like the .223, but for more excitement when target plinking, i would rather go with a .243, more accurate, more power, just more fun. two thumbs up.

5. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Guest

If you are looking to shoot yotes and groundhogs/prairie dogs the .22-250 is a super fast flat shooting bullet. You are right about the .223 being inexpensive to shoot. The .22-250 (55gr.) you will be pushing about 3600-3700fps at the muzzle, where the .223 (55gr.) is around 3200-3300fps. I presently shoot a .243 for my smaller animals, and have shoot some deer with it. The .204 is a real nice wildcat round, but will be hard to find in a store if you run out of ammo while in the field.

The Savage that you are looking at is a super shooting gun. I have read some reviews on the new Savages and wish I had room in my safe for one, but not right now. The only thing with the one that you are looking at is the width of the stock. The front of the stock is a sporter weight, skinny. If this does not bother you go with it. If you would like something heavier in the front you could look at the Savage 12BVSS or 12 Varminter Low Profile. It is basically the same action and barrel, but different stock and it is stainless.

But honestly, you will be very happy with any one of those rounds.

6. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

For most varmint shooting you can use a raft of cartridges and all will work fine.

Someone posted saying that they like the .243. So do I. You can also use it for deer/antalope shooting. You really can't do that with a 223. So I'm for gathering capability rather than reducing it.

The .243 with the 75 grain bullet is a good, a fine varmint gun. With the 100 grain bullet it's more rifle than a .223 will ever be.

7. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

If you are shooting factory ammo and shooting a lot, the 223 is generally the least expensive and works fine to 200-250 yards. If you handload the cost is not such a big factor and 22-250 has more pep and less drop at distances in the 200+ yard realm. In the end you should go with the caliber you really want and the gun that you like best. For me that turned out to be a Savage 12FV in 223.

Safe shooting.

8. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Alright I'm pretty sure I know what I want (for the most part). I'm thinking of getting the Remington 700 SPS. Its about a pound and a half liter and if I got it in .223 it can hold 1 more bullet. The rate of twist for the .223 in the 700 is 12" unlike the 12FV were it is 9". With the 12FV do you think it might be a little more accurate?

I'm still kinda in a bind on whether to get the .223 or .22-250 though. In cents what is the difference in price? I did see some .22-250s at Sports Authority for $18 for 40. These were Winchester. Is that about average for .22-250s? ($.45 a piece)

Anyway, I won't keep you anymore. Thank you for all your help!

9. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I sometimes wonder about folks who demand to have a varmint rifle that shoots 400 yards. I've hunted a lot of varmints. Fourhundred yards is a VERY long ways away.

A hundred yards is a pretty long shot, but two is the farthest that I usually take. Unless I want to take a "hope" shot.

Sure, it's fun to blaze away at 400 yds. You have to have a spotter mark you shots so that you can correct. But in reality a rifle that shoots well to say, 200 yards is plenty.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kbar,

Wrt to ammo pricing, check around for the Winchester white box ammo (made in USA preferably since the box of Israeli stuff I got was way too hot) which goes for around 10 bucks per 50 or in that neighborhood around here. Black Hills is also popular and goes for 11-12 per box of 50 which is pretty economical. The Russian stuff can be had for real cheap if you are shooting factory ammo. Accuracy depends on what your gun likes. Grab a box or two of each and head to the range to see what your rig likes best.

On the twists, I think (not 100% on this) that the faster twists stabilize heavier bullets better (i.e. > 55 grains) and the slower twists stabilize lighter bullets better (55 grains and under ) but I may well have it backwards. My Savage has 1 in 9 twist and with 55 grain loads I can cloverleaf 5 rounds at 100 yards so I never really found it necessary to test any other weights though I may get the hankering later on.

Safe shoting.

11. KaBar

KaBar Guest

Guest -

Are you talking about .223 or .22-250? Thanks for the info.

12. gator

gator Guest

I don't want to muddy the waters, but if you have already decided on the .223, which can never be a bad choice, please look at the CZ varmint rifles. These are priced at a bargain for their quality and accuracy. My 527 American sporter will average 1/2 to 3/4 with most handloads. Hope this helps.

13. wired

wired Guest

CZ rifles are freakin sweet.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i just bought a 12fvss in .223 this past dec. and all i can say is the synthetic stock on it leaves something to be desired. i have ordered a replacement stock for it in lamanate. with that bull barrel the thing is so front heavy that you (at least me) realy want some weight back behind it to helpwith its center of gravity. also the synthetic stock they use is a little flimsy. i would shoulder the three, synthetic, laminate & the new Low Profile laminate before purchase. when you pick one i would also check the crown before taking it home as some have slipped past quality controll with a rough crown.i hate to say it but it is a fact.

15. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

K-Bar,

The white box ammo I was referring to is 223. I don't think Win makes 22-250 white box (econo) ammo.

Safe shooting.

16. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I used to use my 416 Rigby loaded with the smaller, faster Speer 350 gr Mag Tips, but I sold the rifle to a guy to give to his son for their first Cape Buffalo hunt. :cry: :cry:

Now I am limited to using a 375 H&H with 260's... :oops: I HATE to have to chase wounded chipmunks into the brush with only a 375...DANGEROUS!...so am I when I've been drinking this mixture of anti-freeze and Sterno... :roll:

In all honesty, I was shooting 'yotes with the 416 out my bedroom window. :D

I like the 243 for varmint shooting, since it can double as a decent deer/antelope rifle when used with 100-105 gr bullets of good design. :p

17. KaBar

KaBar Guest

I have 3 30-06, a 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5x55 Swed, 12ga 1187 with rifled barrel for sabots, and one or two other high powered rifles. So a .243 isn't exactly what I'm looking for. But thank you for the idea. I want to thank everyone for their ideas and suggetions. I really appreciate all your help! :D

18. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I agree most whole heartedly. While the .243 doesn't look so zippy in the pages of a reloading manual, in achual use the are great! They are excellent varmint rifles and fine deer antelope guns. Same can be said for the .257 Roberts.

19. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Hey: Safari guy, have you considered one of the new Remington 416s? What do you think about a standard .458? I don't think those Winchester Model 70's in 458 are hard to find and not all that spendy....

What rifles do you think constitute the perfect battery to take on a big game african safari?

20. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

The .223 is your best bet.