Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my grandfather gave me his 1891 argentine mauser today. it's in excellent shape and is a beautiful rifle. i don't plan on shooting it, but i do want to keep it in the condition that it's in now. i decided that i'd give it a good cleaning, but i wasn't sure about using modern lubricants and solvents on this rifle. i seriously doubt that they'd do any damage, but i just wanted to make sure...

is there any reason why hoppes, remoil, or breakfree shouldn't be used on this rifle?

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the information! i was mostly concerned with the possibility of damaging the finish somehow...

the gun really doesn't need any cleaning as it was taken care of, but i wanted to give it a good over before i put it up 8)

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome back Chips,the cleaners (sounds like you won't need them) can damage the finish on guns but lubricants won't.Breakfree has a long time storage product I use,I have guns I may never shoot again and I want them rust free for my kids.Drop-Shot

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: re: cleaning an antique rifle...

Drop-Shot said:
Breakfree has a long time storage product I use,I have guns I may never shoot again and I want them rust free for my kids.Drop-Shot
you wouldn't happen to know what it's called would you? sportsmans warehouse has a pretty good selection of gun oils and what not, so i can make a run by there and see if they have it...

oh, and thanks for the welcome, guys. i've been doing mostly shotguns lately, but i'll try and drop by a little more often...

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Ok I have it right here,Break Free "Collector", it adds,for long term storage preservative for firearms and sports equiptment. It must work as none of my guns have any rust anywhere.Drop-Shot

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: re: cleaning an antique rifle...

Drop-Shot said:
Ok I have it right here,Break Free "Collector", it adds,for long term storage preservative for firearms and sports equiptment. It must work as none of my guns have any rust anywhere.Drop-Shot
thanks, i'll look for it on my next day off 8)

mule said:
If I had a 7.65 Mauser, I would shoot it!
even if i wanted to, i'd have a hard time getting ammo for it :eek: the only place i was able to find it for sale was of gun auction sites. i need to start reloading :cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.