Comment on primer loading

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by The_Cook, Sep 18, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Is it just me or does primer loading give you the heebee-jeebees?

The thing that I don't like about it, is that I am exerting far more pressure to load a primer than I do to do a full resize on a case :shock:

Any type of equipment that fixes this? Or am I stuck with my heebee-jeebees?

2. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

The primer fit must be snug. I have seen primers fall out of loose primer pockets.

Are you using surplus military brass :?:
    Ammo intrended for military use has the primers crimped in place. Keeps them from falling out and jamming machine guns.
    The primers can be pressed out easily enough but a small crimping rim of brass makes seating new primers difficult. You may be able to remove it with a deburring tool or knife blade. I have a Lyman primer pocket tool just for that job.

Commercial brass should not present conditions as you describe.
    Keep those safety glasses handy.

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Get a primer pocket cleaning tool (costs around 3-4 bucks) to clean the crud out of the pocket. Primers will slide in much easier but will still be snug enough.

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Just found out my problem with the primers I was using. The reloading store guy sold me on "CCI no. 34 primers". Those are milspec primers :? I had to push on those things so hard to get em in that I tweeked the handle on my 2weeks new Pardner press. :x :x :x
    I deprimed my entire set, purchased winchester primers, and no longer have the heebeejeebees cause I'm pressing so hard. Actually don't have to press much on it at all now. :D

5. Bobshouse

Bobshouse Guest

Re: re: Comment on primer loading

Be careful now, you might have enlarged your primer pocket by pushing those misfit primers in there...

6. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Muahaha Bobhouse, I'm one step ahead of you :D I bought another round of brass and calipered the primer pocket on a couple of em and then calipered the deprimed brass. I'm dead on both. But thanks for the heads up anyways :D