cougars in michigan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by skog, Feb 4, 2005.

1. skog

skog Guest

I saw on the news last night that the DNR of michigan confirmed a cougar sighting and scat with DNA. This is the time cougars have been confirmed in the state. All the previous sightings were dismissed as ferel cats or bobcats. Just a little FYI. I saw this on the channel 6 news out of marquette in the UP. Only a matter of time before they cross the straights and we have them down state too.

skog

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

We have them too here in Georgia, but our DNR will not admit it.I know there here because I have seen one.

3. grimel

grimel Guest

TN claims to not have them. You show me bobcat that's 4ft long with a 4ft tail and I'll take back every bad thing I've said about the genius' at TWRA.

They also claim the coyote population isn't out of hand.

They also allow deer hunting with a 25acp.

Not that I don't trust the various State paid biologists.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Same here in Va. Fish & Game Dept. will not admit to releasing any. Kinda funny with all the sighting in the last 5 years. Of course they'll come out and look around,saying that they see no tracks or scat so they're not there.

YEAH RIGHT!!!!

HWD

5. B540Glenn

B540Glenn Active Member

I don't know if I want the DNR to confirm that fact. Once we get confirmation that we have cougars, you'll get all sorts of lawsuits from the PETA-type groups trying to ban everything from hunting in those areas to road construction leading to those areas.

Speaking of crossing the straits...
    Did you hear about wolf sightings in the LP?
    DNR Wolves

6. skog

skog Guest

Yeah i heard one was taken in a trap in the north west side of the state of the LP. I know that the wolves have completely destroyed the deer hunting in the UP. I saw pics of a bridge in the UP (baraga i think) That had 3 wolves hanging from it the day after the opener. I hunt east of L'Anse and I have seen plenty of deer chased off by a pack and heard stories of many people just shooting them and leaving them there.

skog

7. [Smoke]

[Smoke] Active Member

Have them here in Kansas. Everyone you talk to here has seen them or knows someone. A friend had one in his backyard at a nearby lake. Was afraid for his kids, so another friend and I was going to take care of it. Went to fish'n game to ask if there was a season or if we needed a fur license. They denied that cougars were in Kansas so their isn't any type of regulations for them. Also if we nab it to bring it by so they could see it. We never got it, but I'll never give up hope.

Read a story bout one that was tagged in Nebraska and was later shot in Oklahoma. I doubt it was the same one, but it did have to pass through Kansas to get there.

Mny people have had them as pets and either let them go or somehow escaped. Everytime one is spotted and reported, it is writtin off as some other animal or a cougar that has escaped from the owner to keep the general public from panic. Heck, I knew a girl in highschool whose parents had one in a dogrun in there backyard. So if I was the general public that could be a story I would believe. But, I live in the country and hunt so I have seen with my own eyes what animals ARE in Kansas.

Someone is going to have to get eaten before any kind of season is created to regulate the population.

JMHO

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point I know Georgia has them cause we had them in Mississippi and Louisianna.It seems that the Game and Fish Dept don't acknowledge them till an attack happens.Then someone or some ones animal is lost,I know of at least 2 people that have seen them in the early 80's in north Louisianna,and I found the remains of a young deer in the crux of a tree.They are around still,we have alot of them in Montana but I have never felt threatened by them yet.I had a young mountain cat follow me for awhile,I heard it.I doubled back and saw him,he didn't run,he was just following my tracks.There must have been a den close by cause he disappeared.The Montana game and fish dept trapped a female around there and released her up deep in the elkhorns,I bet that young cat was her youngster.All be carefull.Drop-Shot