CZ or Ruger in .223 for bench fun?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by j beede, Aug 4, 2005.

1. j beede

j beede Guest

This is purely for fun, cheap CF shooting from the bench. Would you go with the Ruger #1 in .223 with heavy barrel or would you go with the CZ 527 in .223.

.223 because it's cheap and I don't hunt. Ruger in stainless with gray laminated looks too cool. CZ in fancy maple is tempting. Any comments regarding barrels or trigger groups on these two guns?

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

Before you buy either of those, take a look at a Savage 12FV in .223 Rem. New ones have the Accu-trigger, and it really works.

Kinda ugly synthetic stock on it... I did a little (well, a lot) of fitting on a Boyd's laminated target stock intended for a model 10, and it improved the looks 1000%

Even with the ugly factory stock (with about a pound of #8 shot poured into the butt) I could explode charcoal briquets at 200 yards, running about a 95% average.

Mine has a cheap Simmons 6-18x50 AO. The recoil is so light (especially with the extra weight.. I added weight to the butt of the Boyd's stock, too) that it won't hurt even a cheap scope.

3. gator

gator Guest

Nothing against Ruger but I'm voting CZ all the way.
    I have a 527 American sporter and regularly get 3 shot groups in the 1/2 to 3/4" range with a most of my handloads. I've shot several groups in the .3s and .4s. It's got a 3-9 Burris Fullfield on it. You'll love the set trigger, especially off the bench. They're both good guns and I don't think you can make a wrong pick. And as WWB stated the Savages are known for their accuracy though their appearance seems a little rough to me, but thats just cosmetics.

4. gator

gator Guest

Nothing against Ruger but I'm voting CZ all the way.
    I have a 527 American sporter and regularly get 3 shot groups in the 1/2 to 3/4" range with a most of my handloads. I've shot several groups in the .3s and .4s. It's got a 3-9 Burris Fullfield on it. You'll love the set trigger, especially off the bench. They're both good guns and I don't think you can make a wrong pick. And as WWB stated the Savages are known for their accuracy though their appearance seems a little rough to me, but thats just cosmetics.

5. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Having had all good experiences with several :) Savages and bad experiences with :cry: Ruger long guns, my vote goes to Savage or CZ. I own a big total of ONE CZ (.17hmr) and have so far found it to be worth the $$$. Buuuut, that Ruger #1 is the boss for having a total coolness factor, I admit. (If I could just justify a #1 in .416, that'd be my :p next toy...) JMHO
    ///olde 8) pharte///

6. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

CZ and Ruger are both very good guns. Which ever one you get you won't be disappointed.

But I lean towards the Ruger just because it's American
    made and their service and support are among the best in the industry.