Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is purely for fun, cheap CF shooting from the bench. Would you go with the Ruger #1 in .223 with heavy barrel or would you go with the CZ 527 in .223.

.223 because it's cheap and I don't hunt. Ruger in stainless with gray laminated looks too cool. CZ in fancy maple is tempting. Any comments regarding barrels or trigger groups on these two guns?

· Registered
918 Posts
Before you buy either of those, take a look at a Savage 12FV in .223 Rem. New ones have the Accu-trigger, and it really works.

Kinda ugly synthetic stock on it... I did a little (well, a lot) of fitting on a Boyd's laminated target stock intended for a model 10, and it improved the looks 1000%

Even with the ugly factory stock (with about a pound of #8 shot poured into the butt) I could explode charcoal briquets at 200 yards, running about a 95% average.

Mine has a cheap Simmons 6-18x50 AO. The recoil is so light (especially with the extra weight.. I added weight to the butt of the Boyd's stock, too) that it won't hurt even a cheap scope.

· Registered
58 Posts
Nothing against Ruger but I'm voting CZ all the way.
I have a 527 American sporter and regularly get 3 shot groups in the 1/2 to 3/4" range with a most of my handloads. I've shot several groups in the .3s and .4s. It's got a 3-9 Burris Fullfield on it. You'll love the set trigger, especially off the bench. They're both good guns and I don't think you can make a wrong pick. And as WWB stated the Savages are known for their accuracy though their appearance seems a little rough to me, but thats just cosmetics.

· Registered
58 Posts
Nothing against Ruger but I'm voting CZ all the way.
I have a 527 American sporter and regularly get 3 shot groups in the 1/2 to 3/4" range with a most of my handloads. I've shot several groups in the .3s and .4s. It's got a 3-9 Burris Fullfield on it. You'll love the set trigger, especially off the bench. They're both good guns and I don't think you can make a wrong pick. And as WWB stated the Savages are known for their accuracy though their appearance seems a little rough to me, but thats just cosmetics.

· Registered
426 Posts
:) Having had all good experiences with several :) Savages and bad experiences with :cry: Ruger long guns, my vote goes to Savage or CZ. I own a big total of ONE CZ (.17hmr) and have so far found it to be worth the $$$. Buuuut, that Ruger #1 is the boss for having a total coolness factor, I admit. (If I could just justify a #1 in .416, that'd be my :p next toy...) JMHO
///olde 8) pharte///

· Registered
189 Posts
CZ and Ruger are both very good guns. Which ever one you get you won't be disappointed.

But I lean towards the Ruger just because it's American
made and their service and support are among the best in the industry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.