• Deer Rifle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M1903A3

• M1

• Something Else

• Forget the bike and boat, get two guns!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last month, I have been promoted to Lieutenant, (Navy O-3) refinanced my house (no cash out, but saved $300/mo in interest), and recieved a large increase in Flight Pay.

I was planning on getting some stuff I had been putting off anyway, but the wife "approved" the following, making it guilt-free:

1-New stuff from my Triumph Bonneville. I plan on getting a center stand, and some decent mufflers.

2-Parts to finish fixing the boat. I'd been holding off on a new carb and intake.

and most importantly...

ANY GUN I WANT!

Here is my quandry. I currently have 2 12ga pumps, and a Marlin 60 (really her's). The rest of my collection had been sold off over the last few years when she was in college and money was tight.

Here are my thoughts in no particular order.

Option 1: I was thinking of a new 1911 style pistol, but am open to other ideas. I miss my old Series 80, and do not have any handguns at the moment, and may get stationed in a state with less than friendly gun laws.

Option 2: 16 Gauge SxS S0 DeHaan. I like SxS, don't have one, and the 16 gauge would add to the "neato" factor.

Option 3: Some sort of .30-06/.270/.308 Deer Rifle. Bolt action with a scope, other than that, not set on any one model.

Option 4: A CMP M1903A3 Springfield. Historic, uses common ammo, and Grandpa carried a sniper version in WWII.

Option 5: CMP M1. Historic, and semi-auto.

I am posting this on all 3 "world" sites.

If anyone would like to open my eyes to a gun I may not have considered, it would be greatly appreciated.

I shoot skeet, and like all forms of shooting. I do some hunting, but my job and availabity during hunting season limits what I can plan on doing, but would like to hunt more

·
Registered
304 Posts
ok im not much of a smart guy when it comes to old school guns but the 03 rifle ur talking about is that the original kind chambered in .30-30 or the 1906 kind chambered in .30-06?

anyways if i were u i would take the M1 cuz those are great rifles and in my oppinion probly the most accurate semi auto rifle other than the military PSG1

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Maser...I think you meant 30-03, not 30-30... :wink: The '03 and 03-A3 were 30-06, with very rare exceptions.

Thumper...get the 16 gauge SXS...Class and a Classic bore. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) And, if you want to feel some Real Class, shoot 2 1'2" English traditional paper hull shells in it. :wink:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Congrats on the promotion! I'd say a good place to start would be your own .22LR, as every responsible adult needs at least one. Other than that, I'd say go for the deer rifle. You've got shotguns, you need to diversify for now. Any one of the 3 cartridges listed will be an excellent choice, as you can do A LOT more than just deer with them. The .30-06 and .308 will be a lot cheaper to feed, though. Once that's taken care of, then you'll need yerself a pistol or two, or you can start adding a few historical pieces of hardware.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I think its a crying shame we pay athletes millions to play sports(which I do enjoy)and the most important folks like police,fireman,school teachers and most important of all,THE MILITARY gets paid ALOT less.My dad was in the Army 26 years and I know how a buying decision can effect the household,my hats off to you buddy.That being said,I really like the 1911 pistols but can't hunt with them so my choice would be a pistol that could double for a self defense gun and a hunting gun like the 44 mag or 454 casull,the 44 mag could shoot 44 special for self defense and the 454 casull could shoot 45 lc for the same reason.Just my opinion and thanks again for being there.Drop-Shot

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Re: re: Decisions, Decisions

Maser said:
luv2safari said:
Maser...I think you meant 30-03, not 30-30... :wink:
lol *puts on his dunce cap again* i thought that the pre 1906 models took the .30-30
Man...I have to teach you kids EVERYTHING. :evil: You should have just admitted to a typo... :idea: :wink: Stick with me, and I'll teach you how to cover your A$$...I mean "typos". :lol:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The 16 ga. or deer rifle.. Thumper,you said somet5hing abuot flight pay or something to that effect. Are you a pilot and if so what aircraft. Sometimes I wish I'd have stayed in the Air Force.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
First off, make sure you finish off the bike and the boat as those are things your wife and you can do together. We never know when one of the 4 horsemen will come calling and every moment will be treasured by both parties.
That said, I'm at a toss up between the 1911 and a deer rifle. I'd lean towards a shotgun but do not care for SxSs much at all. The handgun can be shot in a lot of places a rifle can't and you are pining for a gun that you miss. there are also relatively inexpensive .22 LR conversion kits for the 1911 that make shooting even cheaper. The rifle would be nice for hunting but you do mention job commitments prevent you from participating. I guess I'd lean toward the 1911 and wait on the rifle for a bit.

·
Registered
304 Posts

luv2safari said:
Maser said:
luv2safari said:
Maser...I think you meant 30-03, not 30-30... :wink:
lol *puts on his dunce cap again* i thought that the pre 1906 models took the .30-30
Man...I have to teach you kids EVERYTHING. :evil: You should have just admitted to a typo... :idea: :wink: Stick with me, and I'll teach you how to cover your A$$...I mean "typos". :lol:
lol whats the point of lying to u guys? u cant learn from lies

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Maser,
I think you are getting confused with the 1896 Krag-Jorgensen rifle which was chambered for the .30/40 Krag round. This was the main service rifle between the 1873 Springfield and the 1903 Springfield. This was a markedly more powerful round compared to the .30 WCF (30/30) which was soon replaced with what became the 30/06. As mentioned, what the 1903 initially was chambered for was slightly modified in 1906 and became known as the 30/06 we all know and love.

·
Registered
304 Posts
well i can honestly say im wasnt confused with the .30-40 krag round cuz this is the 1st time iv ever heard of that cartridge :? like i said before i could have sworn the pre 1906 03 rifles were .30-30

·
Registered
681 Posts

Maser said:
well i can honestly say im wasnt confused with the .30-40 krag round cuz this is the 1st time iv ever heard of that cartridge :?
Kids these days. A real shame. They don't know how to do math, they can't read and write, and they don't even know their roots :roll:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well Maser, for future reference the .30/30 caliber was never officially adopted by the U.S. military as a main service rifle in any guise. Some civilians or Indians acting as scouts or guides carried their personal weapons but these were not issued to them and were mostly something other than .30/30 as this cartridge did not come about until ~1894. Plus, it wouldn't have been tested in military try outs as the lever action was discarded by the military shortly after the introduction of the Spencer back in the 1860s and the bolt action Mauser was THE weapon of the day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I've been flying helicopters for 11 years, 7 civillian, 4 for the navy. Getting bored, want to go mach-3 with my hair on fire instead of hoping it will break 150 in level flight without shaking apart.

Leaning towards the 1911, looking at a SA Double Stack GI model.

Any input on this gun from anyone? I have a thread going on it over at pistolworld.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
If you are getting a 1911, get a 1911...7&1 is enough to carry and it trims back down an already heavy, bulky side arm.

The 1911, as first adopted and used until all this NATO BS, was the best combat side arm ever conceived, IMHO. But, I'm older and a bit reactionary... :oops:

A well tuned 1911 is fun to shoot, and they don't need all these other fancy and EXPENSIVE gadgets to make them hit where pointed. A reasonably tight frame/slide, proper barrel bushing, and some basic adjustable sights, and you have the best of both worlds, IMO.

I guess I'll permit you to get a 1911 or the 16ga SXS. :roll: After all, both are Classics... :wink:

As to military use of the 30-30; in the Mexican Revolution the Del Nortes and Poncho Villa shot the holy [email protected] out of Pershing's army with 7mm Mausers and Winchester 30-30's. The trenta-trenta is still the most popular rifle in Mexico.

The 30-40 Krag was a good round, in an awful rifle... :x . With the advent of the 1903 Springfield (Mauser clone) and the 30-06 we at long last got things right in a choice for our military basic infantry rifle.

Its a bit ironic that the Eastern Block's adoption of the AK and the 30-30 powered 7.62X39 brought about the most widely adopted infantry weapon ever... :idea:

·
Registered
304 Posts

wired said:
Kids these days. A real shame. They don't know how to do math, they can't read and write, and they don't even know their roots :roll:
lol hey give me a break the 1st cartridge that came into my life was the 7.62X39mm when i was 3 and after that i only got to know modern cartridges (lol i know .30-30 aint modern but its pretty popular)

·
Registered
426 Posts
:) Don't sweat being a bit less than an expert on all those cartridge differences, Maser. I was about :oops: forty years old before I learned what a 30-03 was. Prior to that, I thought the 30-03 was a put-on, like snipe hunting in a swamp with a sack to catch 'em or the ever popular :lol: :lol: :lol: jackalope mounts.
///olde :roll: pharte///

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.